AlmaLinux "Elevate" from CentOS 7.x to Various 8.x Distros

Has anyone tried this with a live Virtualmin system? It seems like one of those “too good to be true” kinds of things.

Richard

1 Like

Some weeks back I migrated a whole system. CentOS 8.5 Roughly 25 domains and 200GB of data. Live data. Easy migration and everything worked.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have a CentOS 7.9 that I’m thinking about upgrading to AlmaLinux 8.5.

I have a test server running for… well, months, maybe a year, on which I installed CentOS 8.x, then Virtualmin; and then migrated to AlmaLinux 8.x. Virtualmin picked up on the migration and let me know about it, with no complaints. The system is still running as a local testing server, with no issues.

But CentOS 7.9 to AlmaLinux 8.5 with a few keystrokes … That would make me giddy.

I have to wait a few days to make sure I’m not dreaming this. It’s kind of like winning the lottery.

Richard

I wouldn’t go 7.9 to 8.5 but 7.9 to 7.9 then update to 8.5. They have worked hard on the migration script(s). But me being paranoid, would prefer version like for like, they wouldn’t have released it if it didn’t work? So should be fine - I had backups of everything so thought if something went wrong. Oh well, I just install from clean and restore. I didn’t have to restore so I was well pleased at the time, had a drink to top it off😀. Just note that a test server isn’t the same as live data and behaviour can sometimes alter the migration versus a test server that looks ok. Make sure your boot partition got enough space for the kernel upgrades.

1 Like

I would suggest spinning up CentOS 7.9 instance on the virtual machine, installing Virtualmin GPL and then trying the upgrade on that test system, and sharing your experience later with us. It may work.

1 Like

That’ll probably be the next step. I also have multiple physical machines I can use, including the current testing server, which corresponds very closely with the hardware profile of my production servers. I can just pull the SSD and pop another one in there.

My original plan was to back up the sites, wipe and reinstall the production servers, and restore from backup. The downtime would be worth not having to deal with the inevitable bad reputations on inherited IPv4 addresses.

But if I can do the upgrade in-place, that would be a lot easier – at least for the server already running Virtualmin. I have two running cPanel that I would love to migrate to Virtualmin, but that wouldn’t be possible in-place.

By the way, is AlmaLinux natively supported in Virtualmin yet?

Richard

1 Like

It works fine, although there might be some minor issue discovered later, as it’s less tested as, let’s say, Ubuntu 20 or Debian 10.

1 Like

You have to take care of some other software as mysql , mariadb and some other. ( where defualt higher versions under the Alma 8.x and co)
Take a look and take care for change logs from those, while other default configs/ settings that could break older apps easy. (a strict mode is default in newer version giving one example)

1 Like

I moved some years ago away from cPanel. Physical server CentOS. I backed up everything then exported/imported into Virtualmin. From one physical server CentOS cPanel to another physical CentOS Virtualmin. It more or less went OK.

If you have 2 cPanel servers, could you temp move everything onto one whilst second is rebuilt for Virtualmin?. Then export/Import to Virtualmin. Other server could then be rebuilt too or discarded.

1 Like

Doubtful on one, probably possible on the other. It’s not that big a deal, though, because all the clients are U.S. based and none of them are eCommerce companies; so if I start it at midnight, they should lose little if any business.

I also have a few clients who actually use cPanel, mainly for Roundcube and Awstats. I think I can make it painless for them with a few redirects.

I found the cPanel to Virtualmin migration to be almost flawless, and I’ve migrated quite a few accounts. The only flaw was with Awstats, because cPanel splits it up into SSL and non-SSL. I think Jaime fixed that in the migration script since then. In the meantime I was able to merge the files to recover the old stats.

Richard

Thanks.

So just to be clear, if I’m doing a fresh install, Virtualmin will install on AlmaLinux without my having to practice deception like I did during all my tests?

Richard

It should work, as it does work for me without any noticeable issues.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.