Allowing sub-servers to do script installs

I know I’m missing an “OK” somewhere…
I want to create a sub-server under an existing domain and allow that sub-server to install script_installers. But all I see is an update capability, not the ability to install new script_installers.

What I’m trying to do is create a tools.myDomain.com where a set of general tools will reside that can be utilized by clients. I.e. limesurvey, phpMyAdmin, etc.

Can someone point me to where I need to enable this? I really only want it enabled for a specific sub-server, but enabling it for any sub-sever would be okay.<br><br>Post edited by: tbirnseth, at: 2008/12/15 16:36

what I do is generate a sub-server as a top level server
it will then behave as any normal server incl. the install scripts feature and its own login

Not sure what you mean. When I select ‘create sub-server’ I don’t get the same template as I do with a top-level server. Hence it doesn’t seem to have the option to do many of the things a top-level server does.

Do I create a top-level server and then move it to become a sub-server of another domain?

Can you give your basic steps?

1 create server
2 choose top level server (thus not sub-server)
3 at Domain name field fill in: tools.domain.com

because of the name you give it, it is in fact already a sub-server,but with all features of a top level server

it will then reside in /home/tools.domain.com

not in /home/domain.com/domains/tools.domain.com

hmm… How about the DNS for it.
My ultimate goal is to be able to create CNAME entries in DNS and RewriteRule’s in httpd.

I.e.
foo.com IN A 1.2.3.4
db IN CNAME tools.domain.com
and to be able to access it via:
db.foo.com

Will this work under this strategy?

Appreciate your help.

yes because it will behave exactly as any top level domain
so tools.domain.com will behave the same as domain.com as in features, apache, dns etc.

example of zonefile as i have it for such created sub-server

$ttl 38400 @ IN SOA ns1.fqdn.nl. postmaster.fqdn.nl. ( 2008063001 10800 3600 604800 38400 ) @ IN NS ns1.fqdn.nl. album.mydomain.nl. IN A my.ip.is.here www.album.mydomain.nl. IN A my.ip.is.here ftp.album.mydomain.nl. IN A my.ip.is.here m.album.mydomain.nl. IN A my.ip.is.here album.mydomain.nl. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx a:album.mydomain.nl ip4:my.ip.is.here?all" album.mydomain.nl. 38400 IN NS ns2.fqdn.nl. album.mydomain.nl. IN NS ns3.fqdn.nl. album.mydomain.nl. IN MX 10 ns3.fqdn.nl.

and its apache directives, you can add rewrite rules of course.

SuexecUserGroup "#547" "#529" ServerName album.mydomain.nl ServerAlias www.album.mydomain.nl DocumentRoot /home/album.mydomain.nl/public_html ErrorLog /home/album.mydomain.nl/logs/error_log CustomLog /home/album.mydomain.nl/logs/access_log combined ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/album.mydomain.nl/cgi-bin/ ScriptAlias /awstats /home/album.mydomain.nl/cgi-bin DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php index.php4 index.php5 <Directory /home/album.mydomain.nl/public_html> Options Indexes IncludesNOEXEC FollowSymLinks ExecCGI allow from all AllowOverride All AddHandler fcgid-script .php AddHandler fcgid-script .php5 FCGIWrapper /home/album.mydomain.nl/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi .php FCGIWrapper /home/album.mydomain.nl/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi .php5 </Directory> <Directory /home/album.mydomain.nl/cgi-bin> allow from all </Directory> RemoveHandler .php RemoveHandler .php5 <Files awstats.pl> AuthName "album.mydomain.nl statistics" AuthType Basic AuthUserFile /home/album.mydomain.nl/.awstats-htpasswd require valid-user </Files>

That works perfectly!!! Thanks.