Adding Cloud Storage Support for Storj DCS (Generic S3)

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 10
Webmin version: 1.984
Virtualmin version: 6.17-3
Related products version: RECOMMENDED

I recently joined the Virtualmin community and am getting it setup on a fresh VPS. I wanted to set some backups but noticed that generic S3 cloud providers weren’t supported. Storj DCS is a decentralized cloud storage provider that uses S3-compatible gateways to store/retrieve data from buckets exactly like you can do with Amazon’s S3.

All that’s really required to support Storj and other generic S3 storage providers is to allow users to edit the “End Point” URL in the Amazon S3 configuration settings.

Is this something I could manually do myself? Even if there is a manual work-around I would still suggest Virtualmin consider adding support for generic S3 cloud providers.

@AtmoVantage,

The “Amazon S3” storage functionality in Virtualmin does work with nearly all S3-compatiable services. I’ve actually tested it against Digital Ocean’s Spaces for instance and it worked without issues.

1 Like

@tpnsolutions You’re absolutely right, I didn’t realize I could click into the Amazon S3 and change the end point manually. I just tested it with Storj DCS and confirm that it worked successfully. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

@AtmoVantage,

No worries, glad I could clarify that for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.