Activating and Using extra IPs

I’ve managed to successfully use Virtualmin to host websites with a single IP. I now feel ready to branch out by adding IPs. I’ve done research by googling, and found this thread that I thought was helpful:

http://www.virtualmin.com/node/8601

If I understand it correctly, once my VPS host adds the IPs, they show up as virtual IPs, and then to use them I add the additional IPs in the server template setting. Is that right?

I’ve attached a picture of my additional IPs in the network configuration to make sure everything is OK so far.

If it is right, and using these addresses is as simple as making them available in the template settings, will Virtualmin randomly assign virtual servers to any of the available addresses or is this something I have to manually specifiy?

2nd part of the question: If I have these IPs installed and usable, can I go back and change the IP of a site that was originally assigned the single IP that I had to begin?

In case it is relevant, I host a lot of sites related to a single topic, so I am doing this for SEO purposes.

I must have done something wrong, the screenshot isn’t in the post, 2nd try.

Howdy,

By default, Virtualmin will place all domains on your default IP.

It’s only necessary to put a domain on it’s own IP when that domain wants to use something like SSL, which requires a dedicated IP address.

In a situation like that – what you can do it go into Server Configuration -> Change IP address, and set that domain to use the new IP address.

Since your provider already added the IP to your server, you’d want to check the " Already active" checkbox.

-Eric

Thanks for the help.

I tried to experiment. I added the additional IPs that my host provided to the server template, “Virtual IP address”, “Ranges for automatic IP allocation.” When I tried to create a new virtual server, in the setup I checked the box virtual with allocated IP. When I hit create server, I get the error failed to allocate IP.

I much prefer a VPS and virtualmin to shared hosting and cPanel. What I am trying to replicate here is a feature I liked in cPanel on Hostgator, the random allocation of available IPs to sites as they are created.

I know I don’t need extra IPs. I could have 10k sites on a single IP and Virtualmin would work great. But I want to put some of my sites on different IPs for SEO purposes.