Access denied; you need (at least one of) the SUPER privilege(s) for this operation

Hello,

Im facing this error when trying to enable MySQL on a existing virtual server on a VirtualMin, this is also happening if I delete and recreate the virtualserver from the scratch.

Im using a remote MySQL server configured in System Settings > MySQL servers. Im using a remote Google SQL with a MySQL 5.7 version. This is the exact error Im receiving when creating a new virtual server:

Creating MySQL login …
… MySQL database failed! : mysql::execute_sql_logged failed : SQL delete from user where user = 'crust’and host = ‘localhost’ failed : Access denied; you need (at least one of) the SUPER privilege(s) for this operation

Is remote SQL servers still not very supported under Virtualmin GPL version?

OS version: CentOS 7.9
Webmin version: 1.960
Virtualmin version: 6.13

I presume VirtualMin is trying to run some SQL queries that requires SUPER privileges in MySQL but this privilege isnt supported on Google SQL. Any advice how to fix this will be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the fix is. I’m considering just switching over to a bare metal server and installing MySQL myself, rather than using the Google Cloud database.

Remote SQL servers have always been supported in Virtualmin GPL.

You just don’t have the privileges to that remote database Virtualmin expects.

We arent talking about remote SQL. We are talking about support with Google SQL or AWS RDS.

Please check carefully as its not fully covered.

You asked if GPL supported remote SQL servers, I told you it does. :wink:

I said nothing about Google Cloud SQL, as I don’t know. I told you why it isn’t working, and that it is not because GPL doesn’t support remote SQL servers.

I’ve never used Google SQL, but normally you’d do something along the lines of:

mysql> GRANT SUPER ON db_name.* TO user@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

But I have no idea if that works on Google SQL. Actually, I didn’t even know such a thing existed until tonight. So don’t listen to a word I say. Or at least don’t blame me if you hose your database.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.