1 GB not enough RAM for basic install on Ubuntu 18.04

Ubuntu 18.04

BlockquoteContinue? (y/n) y
[ERROR] Memory is below 1572 MB. A full installation may not be possible.

I have 1 GB of RAM, and I prefer to add my own swap.

In Ubuntu 20 I couldn’t remove clamd so I am going back to 18, and it tells me I need 2 GB? Since when?

I used to run this with 512 and 1 GB Swap, so I fail to see how 1 GB won’t let me make my own swap. Now I have to remove the paltry bad compression and swappiness swap it makes, and add my own, on a 1 GB system.

Wow. Things done changed round here.

1 GB is really small amounts of RAM nowadays…

Minimal for Desktop 20 is 4GB… https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

I feel ya. I am rocking a 15 yr old desktop with 3 GB’s. Just about getting by. :smiley:

Did this motivate you to enter ‘no’ when Virtualmin’s automated install script asked if it should create a swap on its own? If so, you forced Virtualmin to proceed without benefit of a swap file and any consequences thereon are due to the choice that you made.

Pro Tip: It is possible (and quite easy) to change the size of a swapfile to one of your own choosing after Virtualmin creates it during installation.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.