Zend Server

Has anyone or if not, can anyone see any problems with installing and using Zend Server with Virtualmin Pro to manage PHP ?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I unfortunately don’t know much about what exactly Zend Server is or how it’s used on a server.

Does it act as an accelerator – sort of a PHP module of sorts? Or is it more like an alternative PHP version – such as an Apache module or so?

If it’s a brand new PHP version, the key would be in getting Virtualmin to recognize it as such… just like Virtualmin can tell if you’re using mod_php, CGI, or FCGID – Virtualmin would need to be able to switch to “Zend”. For this, you’d probably have to work with Jamie to get such a feature added into Virtualmin.

If instead, it’s an accelerator or something similar, working with your existing PHP – it shouldn’t be a problem at all, and Virtualmin likely wouldn’t even know it was there (which is a good thing).

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Zend Server is an primarly an application stack (apache/php). whats nice about it is that you can install it on a server and php is managed through a web interface (extensions etc and also display slow execution of scripts). updates are released through a repository so through yum.

a bit more research into this though and i’ve found they havent released a fcgi for php so not sure if it would work with virtualmin pro and fcgi. i have it installed with virtualmin gpl though and it works fine.

i may of course be totally wrong here and misunderstood, but either way i dont have anymore time to research this :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Paul