Yo dawg, we heard you liked themes...

I was just surfin around, searching for possible available themes for Virtualmin and found this topic.
Last reply was in december 2013 so i wondered if this new theme is still being developed.
It looks awesome and would be very welcomed for sure.

Joe, I am interested in contributing to the new themes, or forking them under gpl. Especially if they are stalled and no one is actively working on them, I’d really like to pick them up.

That’d be awesome! I’m swamped lately with non-theme work. It’s still gonna happen, one way or another, but with the OpenSSL thing, our migration to Drupal 7, and a new server, I’m kinda overwhelmed.

The theme will, of course, be Open Source, so that’s not an issue.

I’ll see about making a new git repo just for the theme as it stands today. Right now it’s in our virtualmin repo, which has both Pro and GPL in it, so it’s not accessible to the world, which is counter-productive for letting others help out.

Hi Joe,

I’m very desperate to change the look and feel of the Webmin panel. Is it possible for you to release it so that we could also work on it?

Thanks.

Hi Joe

I came across your post in my search of themes for Virtualmin. Your Cerulean theme looks awesome!!!
I work as a frontend developer my self, and would love a git repo access so perhaps I could help a bit getting this out into the “wild”.

Thanks

+1 for the git repo.

I tried to set my foot on Proxmox, Opennode, SolusVM, Archipel and others just because they look cool :slight_smile:

The “Mins” are still cool. It’s just that 1990’s interface.

These themes will discourage someone from doing the same thing!

Hi, I can give a small dedicated server if it will help things along.

David

I was also looking into building my own bootstrap theme but it may be easier to collaborate into the existing work.

I like the Cerulean theme but the the others look just amazingly awful in terms of colors. Someone needs to take a look at the color wheel to see how to match colors:
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Just kidding, the important thing is to get the code on the new theme working. The rest is just detail which is not important for a basic GUI functionality.

What is the overall progress on this themes so far? I would be happy if just one is finished and released as base so users can work on it for other themes forked out of it and give the product the much needed different themes. It seems this is a long missing point on the Webmin/Virtualmin/Cloudmin products.

I honestly think this will push more users into the software, I love the features, probably because I´m a geek but I noticed that newbie server admin don´t fall for it for the looks.

And yes, I also found this searching on Google because it seems there honestly are not any themes available for the products so far.

Note that all the other “themes” for Bootstrap are not being worked on by me; they’re just freely available themese that can easily be added once the bootstrap conversion has taken place for Virtualmin/Webmin. i.e. I’m making a Bootstrap theme for Webmin, and any Bootstrap theme that contains the elements we use will work as a style overlay with little or no additional effort. So, I’m not offended by your assessment of their color schemes…I didn’t do it!

Yesterday I worked on getting the repo into a state that I can split into a public and private repo (it’s currently in our private Virtualmin repo, which contains the commercial Virtualmin Professional and Cloudmin code). I’m probably gonna be able to branch it tomorrow before our company meeting, and make it available publicly.

If we had someone with JavaScript abilities beyond mine able to knock out the last couple of remaining major usability issues, it’d be something we could drop into a development package for people to play with. But, as it stands, it’s not actually usable…submit buttons are broken if there’s more than one on a page (I don’t know how to resolve this without modifying every form in Webmin/Virtualmin/Cloudmin, which isn’t feasible), there are still link issues (the href conversion I discussed earlier), back button doesn’t work (I think I know how to fix this one, just need a few hours to write the code and test it), and lots of polishing is needed. Hopefully, once it’s public some other eyes can sort out what remains to be fixed to make it usable enough for widespread testing.

You have time to do this yet as I would love to work on it myself. Don’t forget to write some docs to point out the unfinished work.

Thanks.

Here it is:

https://github.com/virtualmin/virtualmin-bootstrap-theme

Instructions for installation are in the README.md. The only dependency other than Webmin is, I think, the Perl JSON::XS module.

The theme is extremely close to functional; one major missing piece of capability is pages with multiple forms don’t work (this is very common in Webmin/Virtualmin, so it’s not possible to actually use the theme despite how close it is to functional).

But, Webmin itself also needs a tremendous amount of work to make it work with the new theme, which is briefly covered in the WISHLIST file, and in the posts I’ve made earlier in this thread and elsewhere (ui_link conversion must happen in 11,000+ locations, and we have to strip out all of the old JavaScript and replace it with something more modern and less error-prone…since any uncaught JavaScript error stops everything from working until a page reload).

Hi Joe,

I tried to use it but it gave me: Error - Missing Content-Type Header
When opening: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:10000/left.cgi

Any Idea? I have rrdtool, perl-CGI, libart_lgpl and perl-JSON-XS installed.

Fixed with executing:

find . -name “*.cgi” -type f -exec sed -i “s/#!/usr/local/bin/perl/#!/usr/bin/perl/g” {} ;

in virtualmin-bootstrap-theme directory. Now I have

Error - Perl execution failed
Can’t locate bootstrap-theme/bootstrap-theme-lib.pl in @INC

Fixed by renaming “virtualmin-bootstrap-theme” directory to “bootstrap-theme”

mv virtualmin-bootstrap-theme bootstrap-theme

We better correct the readme file.

:slight_smile: thanks Joe.

Please keep at it.

Ah, yes! Good catches. I’ll update the docs. (And, Jamie does all development on a system with a /usr/local perl, for whatever weird historic reason…so, that path is in all of our modules. It can also be solved by creating a symlink to the system perl in /usr/local/bin, though there have been some weird issues with that in the past.)

README has been updated.

Also, rather than rename the directory, I’ve simply made the linking step:

ln -s /path/to/virtualmin-bootstrap-theme bootstrap-theme

So, paths will work fine after this. I may eventually change the code to point to virtualmin-bootstrap-theme…but, if this theme becomes the default Webmin theme (which is likely), it wouldn’t make sense to keep calling it the Virtualmin Bootstrap Theme.

And, rrdtool is not a dependency for this theme, though there will be a new graphing library added at some point…and possibly new data gathering tools to provide the data. rrdtool might be a useful data source, though I’m also looking at collectd, as well as simply improving Webmin’s data gathering (it has many good tools for collecting data about systems, but it can also be a bit heavy when running for hundreds of systems, rrd or collectd or something else may be preferable for those situations).

I did some changes. Please take a look at project’s pull requests.

Wow! That looks great. You even tackled a couple of problems I didn’t document! I’ll get this merged and tested out.

There are still some problems. For example some buttons (Like Log’s Refresh button) are not working correctly. Also there is lot of room for more tweaks in both javascript and specially css.

Anyway, it was lot better if you could give me push right so I didn’t need to open a pull request for every changes. But if you don’t want or have no trust in me, it is ok.