xm not installed

Hi,

today I wanted to test cloudmin but I encountered this problem:

This system cannot be a Xen host : The required command xm does not exist. Perhaps the Xen software is not installed?

Virtual systems cannot be created or added until this is fixed.

I searched and found this:

Xen-4.4 and libxl
Note: All versions of Xen before version 4.4 had xm and xend enabled by default. The xen-4.4.1 (and newer) rpms instead enable xl support and no longer use xend. Please see /MigratingToXl for details on how to migrate from em rpms older than 4.4.1 to the new version

Host is latest CentOS + XEN. How can I fix this?

All versions of Xen before version 4.4 had xm and xend enabled by default. The xen-4.4.1 (and newer) rpms instead enable xl support and no longer use xend.

xend is deprecated but still works, all you have to do is (on CentOS):

chkconfig xend on

service xend start

[root@localhost /]# chkconfig xend on
error reading information on service xend: No such file or directory

[root@localhost /]# service xend start
xend: unrecognized service

What distro are you running and where did you get Xen from? I’m using Xen 4 CentOS 6 from the CentOS-Virt SIG, and it works fine. See https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/Xen4QuickStart. Can you post output from:

rpm -qi xen

uname -a

I’m using : CentOS release 6.7 (Final).
i already followed those steps, but xen didn’t boot.
So I installed cloudmin. - it boots into xen kernel and everything looks god. Only thing is that cloudmin shows this message:
“This system cannot be a Xen host : The required command xm does not exist. Perhaps the Xen software is not installed? Virtual systems cannot be created or added until this is fixed.”

[root@localhost /]# rpm -qi xen
package xen is not installed
(I assume that this is’nt right)

[root@localhost /]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.18.21-1.el6xen.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 2 17:38:26 AEST 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yeah, looks like you installed the xen-enabled kernel but not Xen its self. Not sure how you ended up there. The instructions on the Xen 4 quick start say to run “yum install xen”, I guess something went wrong at that step.

Once you get the xen package installed, you should be able to enable xend and then Cloudmin should work fine.

oh…,
[root@localhost xen]# yum install xen
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
Setting up Install Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• base: mirrors.pidginhost.com
  • extras: mirrors.uav.ro
  • kernel-xen: us2.mirror.crc.id.au
  • updates: mirrors.uav.ro
    Package xen-4.4.3-1.el6.x86_64 is obsoleted by xen44-4.4.2-2.el6.x86_64 which is already installed
    Nothing to do

You’ve ended up with Xen from http://xen.crc.id.au/

Maybe Cloudmin installed it for you? I don’t know, I always get Xen working before installing Cloudmin

I would try uninstalling that version and follow the quick start guide for Xen 4 CentOS 6, that has xend support and works with Cloudmin (we have dozens of servers with this configuration working perfectly)

Yup - cloudmin instaled it.
After clean install I run:
yum update
yum groupinstall base
yum install centos-release-xen
yum install xen
chkconfig xend on

After that I tried to boot xen kernel, but with no luck.

Issue is that xen < 4.5 is not supported for CentOS 7. So, at this time it seems that either CM needs to be updated to use xl with xen 4.5 or use CentOS 6 with Xen 4.2.

I’m hoping that if we rally enough requests for xl, we can move onto Xen on CentOS 7.