Wondering if Virtualmin is what I'm looking for

Hey,

I was wondering if Virtualmin is the right tool to do what I need.

I want to create a Webhosting company and I need a tool to administrate the technical stuff.

I need a system that I can configure to create some specific packages (for example a Starter, Premium, …) with a default configuration.

I also want to be able to expand by adding more servers without problems. I searched on Google about that for Virutalmin, but I didn’t find much stuff about that. I heard that it’s possible to put the database on another server, but it’s not for the mailserver. Is it possible to create many dataservers? How can I administer everything? If one of my server is full, can the system automatically create an account on another free server?

Is there a billing software compatible with Virtualmin? Any software free / open source?

Do I need to use Virtualmin using a virtual server or can I install it on a dedicated server?

Thanks a lot for your help!

you can test the virtualmin GPL and cloudmin GPL. This would do what you are after and are made for this purpose.
WHMCS is for billing and provisioning the servers automatically but is not free. Its not expensive either.
I’m running this combo for a few years now.

Is there a page with information about Cloudmin? I can only find this page (http://www.virtualmin.com/cloudmin-offer) and there’s not much information about that.

With Cloudmin, I can administer multiple servers at a time? Do I need to install Virtualmin on every servers? Is Cloudmin communicating with every single Virtualmin on every servers?

Thanks!

Howdy,

There’s a variety of documentation here that may help answer some of your questions:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/cloudmin

Any other billing software then WHMCS? Since I’m starting, I don’t have a big budget to pay for that. Any open source software?

Check those out. :slight_smile:

I heard that it’s possible to put the database on another server, but it’s not for the mailserver. Is it possible to create many dataservers? How can I administer everything? If one of my server is full, can the system automatically create an account on another free server?

Virtualmin cannot automatically synchronize and organize multiple servers in the way you’re planning here.

Administering can be done with Templates and Account Plans. With Cloudmin you can bring all your servers into 1 panel so you can do mass updates and so on.

“If one of my server is full, can the system automatically create an account on another free server?”
This is provisioning servers which WHMCS can do for you. You can get this for a monthly fee if buying is no option. I dont know other software which can provision a server that is for free.

The billing part is easy. Free billing software is plenty around.
Or create PDF forms for the web with fpdf or tcpdf and do bookkeeping with gnucash or osfinance on your PC.