Which OS is better for VM?

Hello,

I have a VPS with Debian 8 and Webin+Virtualmin pre-installed.

I am going to buy another VPS with another provider, whether I have to choose the OS. I can install:
Cent OS 8
Cent OS 7
Debian 10
Debian 9
Ubuntu 18.04
Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 19.10

I have better experience with debian (and ubuntu), so I prefer that, but are there some differences between debian 9 and 10? Is 10 stable?

Should I consider CentOS? (I saw more topics about CentOS here)

Provider will not install virtualmin, but only Webmin (+LAMP), so I’ll have to install myself

My comment is on your last line. I would start with stock OS only. Do not install webmin or lamp. Let the virtualmin installer handle all of that.

1 Like

Virtualmin installer will handle php,mysql etc?
Then I have to configure something about VPS? (ip address, dsn etc)

I am not an expert, maybe with webmin+LAMP I have some configuration (firewall dsn etc)
Maybe only webmin? virtualmin installer handle and install apache, mysql and php?

I saw this tutorial:

in this there are pre-configuration like webmin+LAMP

The Virtualmin installer will install everything needed for hosting domains/websites(virtualmin). It installs webmin 1st then everything for hosting services. It can be done the way you suggest but letting the installer handle it all eliminates config errors that may happen when done manually.
Edit: more detailed install steps for newer users, this is on ubuntu.
Goto installer page above. Right click on installer.sh link, copy the link. Goto to the command line of your VM and type wget (then control+shift+v) to paste the link you just copied. Should end up with wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh
Hit enter, it will download install.sh to the current directory. ls to show its there.
Now need to make install.sh executable.
At the command line again, type chmod +x install.sh or sudo chmod +x install.sh
Then to run the installer, type ./install.sh as root or sudo ./install.sh if you’re not root.
Will take a few minutes to install.
Then login to the virtualmin/webmin control panel and do the post installation setup and it should be good to go.

1 Like

I have better experience with debian (and ubuntu), so I prefer that, but are there some differences between debian 9 and 10? Is 10 stable?

If choosing from this list, I would go with Ubuntu Server 18.04. While, upcoming Webmin release will have even better support for netplan configuration - over all it’s great. It’s stable and considered Grade A OS.

CentOS 8 support is coming very soon (expected this weekend).

1 Like

Don’t follow random tutorials on the web. We have good installation docs and a very simple installer, as @scotwnw mentioned/linked.

If you install manually, you’re making a huge mess for yourself to clean up, and we won’t be able to help because we’ll have no idea what your system looks like.

2 Likes

Thank you all,
I thought that webmin installer was separated from virtualmin, most of video show webmin installation before virtualmin installation.

Debian 10 maybe is more recent than ubuntu 18.04, between this two which are better?
I have already a VPS with debian 8

It depends on what you’re going to do! If I had to choose, I would have chosen Debian 10, as of more recent software, for instance Postfix 3.4+.

I have already a VPS with Debian 8

Go with Debian 10!

2 Likes

Websites with wordpress: apache, php, mysql, SSL

with debian 8 I have a good VPS, I dont know how update to deb 10 because was preinstalled by provider and I got access to virtualmin

If it was me, I would spin up new server with Debian 10 clean install and either Transfer Virtual Server or used Backup and Restore feature.

Read this!
https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/migrate

1 Like

Thanks, for now I will keep the system that works well, maybe in the future I will upgrade.

However I think that I’ll try with Debian 10 for new server

Okay, but remember you don’t have that much time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All went good with clean installation.
Installer put also webmin and other services for Debian 10
thanks

Just a tip, if you want to try out things without paying for new VPS everytime, install on a Virtualbox first :slight_smile:

I have the same provider and you can choose to not have any backend installed. Then use putty toinstall it. I have ubuntu and ot works flawless since first day

yes I have done in this way, with debian 10 all is good for now

1 Like

Those videos are wrong.

We have provided an automated install script since 2005. It is the only recommended way to install Virtualmin. Installing anything before running the install script is not recommended or supported. Merely installing Webmin from an RPM or deb is harmless, just a waste of time. But any configuration done before the installation is likely to break the resulting system.

And, as for OS choice, go with the latest supported version of what you’re familiar with. If you know CentOS, use CentOS 7 (8 is still crawling toward completion). If you know Ubuntu, use Ubuntu 18.04. If you know Debian, use Debian 10. If you don’t know any of them or have any preference, I always recommend CentOS because it is the most common and you’ll find help for it more readily, but Ubuntu is also very popular and a good choice.

I like Debian more than Ubuntu (I think the Ubuntu folks make too many bad or rushed decisions in pursuit of “innovation”), but unless you’re experienced, Ubuntu has more help available.

3 Likes

@wolfseo always choose the latest version because it has the best and latest software stack