Where is the FTP for the Domain

Hello Guys,

When I create a website and give it a domain name, the ftp part of it does not create when I check the little check box for creation it tells me there is already and ftp for that ip, So I go to that domain and I try to create an ftp user and point it to the path /home/username/public_html but it gives me the following error: That the website directory has to be the same as the domain or something to that nature.

My question is do I have to give every site an ip in order to get ftp working if so that is the worst crock of crap I have ever seen. I should be able to create a virtual FTP with out using an ip for every domain (name based FTP). Now the reason I am asking is I am using a third party installer script and it uses remote ftp to instal lthe scripts,

So can someone please help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Michael

No, that bit is a little misleading. You don’t need the virtual FTP feature to use FTP on a domain. That feature is only required if you need a separate set of ftp options on a separate IP for that domain.

Okay that’s fine, but how do I get the ftp to work for the domain it’s not working and I am not getting errors in the syslog or the messages log files at all.

Not sure what to do here, I will keep researching.

Thanks,
Michael

Okay, sure! Can you please reiterate what exactly you’re trying to do, and what problem exactly you’re seeing?

A hint: the virtual server owner account will, when you assign him a proper login shell, automatically get FTP access to the full website.

Hello Locutus,

I just looked for what you were talking about and i am not seeing anything according to account login shell. I am trying to create a website for a user to use for his blog. I am using a third party installer. It is using a remote install method via FTP. When I create the website, it appears that the FTP is not created or working. So I go and try to force it to create. when I do that it says I have to use Virtual FTP which also wants a new ip address. I have looked through Allowed virtual server features and Allowed Capabilities and there is nothing there pertaining to login shell.

Thanks for your help,
MIchael

You don’t need to “create” the FTP… When you create a new website, the administrative user (the one that gets created with the site) automatically has FTP access. Virtualmin uses the system-wide ProFTPD (make sure it’s running, on the System Information page).

The login shell you configure under “Administration Options / Edit Owner Limits / Other restrictions” (yeah, it’s quite well hidden there!). You need to choose a shell that allows FTP, which should be the default. If there is none, you can create one under “System Customization / Custom Shells”.

If you need additional users with FTP access, create them under “Edit Users / Add a website FTP access user”.

Hello Locutus,

Thank you for your quick response. I apologize for the stupid question but this thing has been driving me nuts for a week now. I need to study the software more i don't know why i missed that. 

Okay I see what you are talking about, There is a default one, Thank you very much.

You are awesome I do appreciate your help, being a new customer I was getting frustrated the I paid and couldn’t get this to work.

Thanks Again
Michael
Hosthobo Web Services
Alexandria, Ohio