What can we get rid of in Virtualmin and what should we keep?

Howdy all,

One of the big goals for Virtualmin 7 is for Virtualmin to do less (but do it in such a simple way that it is impossible to get it wrong).

So, to that end, what can we get rid of? What confused you because you didn’t know what you were supposed to use that was optional in Virtualmin?

For example, we’re probably removing all execution modes for PHP other than PHP-FPM. All other execution modes will be either completely removed and impossible to enable/use from Virtualmin (mod_php) or hidden either in an Advanced section or hidden behind a configurable option. We already have this situation on CentOS 8 and it hasn’t caused much complaint (though some folks have made confused noises because they didn’t see fCGI+suexec options, anymore, I don’t think it was actually stopping them from doing what they needed to do, I think they just expected the same behavior they’d seen in the past).

What other options are too complicated?

While we’re at it, let’s do a poll for some of the things we’re considering dropping.

Check the box if you use it, don’t check it if you don’t:

Who should not get voted off the island in Virtualmin 7? (Check the box if you need it! Leave it alone if you don’t!)
  • AWStats
  • Webalizer
  • ClamAV
  • CGI+suexec
  • FCGI+suexec
  • CentOS 7 support in the installer (for new deployments)
  • Ubuntu 18.04 support in the installer (for new deployments)
  • None. I don’t need any of these things, get rid of them!

0 voters

Let me know down below if you checked something but you could use either/or (i.e. if you checked Webalizer and AWstats, or CGI+suexec and FCGI+suexec, which would you prefer if you had to choose just one?).

Also note that the two distros listed have newer versions that are supported and will continued to be supported; even if CentOS 8 as we know it ends, we will continue with something like Rocky Linux (which will hopefully have an upgrade path), and we’ll continue to support existing installs as they get upgraded via Stream, at least for several years, so I think it’s probably safe-ish to leave CentOS 7 behind. I don’t plan to ever do another CentOS 7 install for our services, despite the uncertainty of what comes next for CentOS 8.

And, Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian 9 and CentOS 6 will definitely be dropped for new installs in Virtualmin 7, so I haven’t included them in the poll. No amount of voting would save them from the chopping block. Existing Virtualmin systems will continue to work until the distros reach EOL, as always.

Cheers,
Joe

Sorry, I missed an option when making the poll and just added it, which reset the count. If you voted in that 10 minute window, please vote again!

I just voted, here’s a little explanation.

Personally, I use PHP FPM and for the general user, that’s the best to choose (for multiple reasons). I can understand the reasons why you think about removing the other modes or at least hide them somewhere. :slight_smile:

I voted for webalizer and AWStats. I don’t really use them that much, just from time to time to check something. I wouldn’t really miss them, but it’s always nice to take a look at some detailed stats. If I would need to choose between the two, I would say stick with AWStats. Just because its more detailed. On the other hand, webalizer is “easier” to look at and easier to handle. Other than that, I wouldn’t feel sorry if they would be removed.

ClamAV is always nice to have, but for some it may cause issues or problems during the installation. That’s why it could be removed or moved to advanced options or so.

With that explanation in mind, I also voted to remove all of the listed choices.

I would leave CentOS 7 be until we have a better idea of the future. If I were building a server tonight, it would use CentOS 7. I’d cuss under my breath about using an OS so close to EOL, but I would use it anyway.

I personally could give a flying flip whether to use AWStats or Webalizer; but most clients who are not IT pros strongly prefer AWStats.

ClamAV is … well, you have to have some kind of malware scanner.

Richard

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.