Wget gets 403 Error

Operating system: Ubuntu 18

Unfortunately I get a 403 when running following:
sudo wget --adjust-extension --mirror --page-requisites --convert-links https://mywebsite.com

I am guessing there is secure feature in Virtualmin that disallows wget? Is there a way to get around this? Yes, can probably duplicate wp locally, but wget seems to be simpler solution, as I am going to convert it to static website anyway.

I am limited on server space, I have a wordpress website with nearly 1000 posts, pictures, etc, ~ 3.5 gigs worth of stuff going back almost 20 years. I want to convert it to a static website, so not the same as mysql or regular file back up. Since my vitualmin space is almost full, I decided to try use wget and httrack both are 403’d.

You’re doing it the hard way.

There’s a Wordpress plugin called “Simply Static”. Install it and it will convert the site to a static HTML site.

Your problem is going to be space. If you’re out of space completely then you’re going to have to find a way to create some or you’ll probably error out during the conversion as the site will have nowhere to go.

Hi Gomez, thanks so much… this is a really good answer, but unfortunately Simply Static (I think also tried another one called ‘Flatpress’) any many other plugins don’t work well on my site:

Main reason, my wordpress is a frankenstein of bespoke changes, subdirectories, customs scripts. Its horrible to maintain and doesn’t play nice with many plugins. Its not something I’m particulary proud of, but I am amazed that its been robust after all these years.

So with that in mind, downloading everything as static would actually be easiest, since all the pages are functional, but I don’t have space on the server to duplicate it (well, without forking out ongoing costs for a one time operation)

Another alternative is downloading from archive.org, I just have to see if it has all the pages.

Again - thanks for the response. Unfortunately, my solution likely requires not using wordpress for the solution!

Definitely not.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.