"Website Disabled hold to test if still in use"

Hi,

So… simply enough thing… I set up a new top level virtual server through Virtualmin.

Went to cloudflare and pointed the dns to the server’s ip.

But when I go to the url for the new site, I get to a page that lists url of another site on the server and a " Website Disabled##### hold to test if still in use" message.

The new site isn’t disabled. I should be able to reach it. I’ve completed the same procedure the in the past with no trouble.

I’m not being forwarded to the other site, the url in the browser’s bar is the new site I expected to load. The other site is working as expected.

Thoughts on the cause and a solution for this?

Chris

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 1.994
Virtualmin version 7.1
Related packages (all standard packages ‘up to date’

Try editing your Apache config using Webmin / Servers ⇾ Apache Webserver: Edit Config Files page, replacing <VirtualHost IP:80> and <VirtualHost IP:443> with <VirtualHost *:80> and <VirtualHost *:443>, and restarting Apache manually.

To have it set as default for new domains use Virtualmin / System Settings ⇾ Virtualmin Virtual Servers ⇾ Configuration: Defaults for new domains with Address format for Apache virtual hosts option.

Thank you Ilia,

I tried that and it did not make a difference.

However, I was experimenting and found that if I removed the section in the config file for port 80 on this domain, and just leave 443, the site comes up.

I checked and both 80 and 443 versions have the same directory paths.

Does that give you any clues as to what might be causing this, and is just removing the VirtualHost for port 80 advisable or will that cause future problems?

Thanks again,

Chris


Oh - update - so I noticed that my other virtualhosts included the ipv6 address, ie:

<VirtualHost 50.111.111.11:443 [2600:1111::1111:1111:1111:1111]:80>

and for some reason the new one I set up didn’t include the ipv6.

So I added that, and now it’s working with both 80 and 443 listed

I don’t know what I did differently in the set up… I kind of remember initially leaving the ‘dns server’ checked, then thought ‘I don’t need that’ and unchecked and resaved. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it though.

It seems like * would have covered both the ipv4 and ipv6 though… so I still don’t understand what happened.

Thanks again though, you got me to the path to a solution!

Chris