Webmin/Virtualmin account for resetting passwords only

First my Virtualmin / Webmin info: CentOS Linux 5.5, Webmin version 1.510, Virtualmin version 3.80 Pro.

Hi,

just a quick question:

I’ve been trying to make our helpdesk webmin accounts that limit the users to just resetting / finding out mail users passwords. Now, is there a way to do this?

I can make user accounts with only access to Virtualmin Virtual Servers, but to get em to be able to reset and see mail users passwords, i need to enable “Can edit module configuration?”, which gives them too much access, to System Settings, Email Messages etc.

I also could do this by Change Password -module, but there is no option to see the password, only reset.

Many customers have forgotten password, and there is no need to reset it,…

Any ideas?

• Yorkki

An easy way to achieve this - if this does not give the helpdesk account too many rights in your view - would be to use the Extra Admins function of Virtualmin, and create an admin that has the *Can manage users" right.

Though they can also create/delete users then and stuff. If that is still too much, there might be a way to have them just query the existing password. If you remove the Can manage users right, the account still can, when logged in, directly call the “show existing password” URL. That one needs some ID number for the domain in question though. Am doing some tests with that right now.

That actually sounds good, although haven’t found the Extra Admins yet, where to add em…

• Yorkki

Ok, found it but site has to have Webmin login enabled, … and that is per site. I’m looking for more like Reseller account, without the need to “bind” sites to the account… (one site can only exist in one reseller account)

What i mean is, one login (can set up multiple accounts for helpdesk), see all sites, can only do mail related stuff …eg. reset passwords and show them (maybe add mailboxes also), nothing else.

• Yorkki

Howdy,

What i mean is, one login (can set up multiple accounts for helpdesk), see all sites, can only do mail related stuff …eg. reset passwords and show them (maybe add mailboxes also), nothing else.

Unfortunately, the permissions of Virtualmin aren’t that granular.

If you want to do something like that, you may need to build part of that yourself… that is, all the tools you’d need to do that are available to you via the Virtualmin command line tools and API. You could always use those tools to provide an admin interface that gives you the specific capabilities you’re after.

But alas, outside of building an interface yourself, there’s not really a way to do that. Sorry!

-Eric

Was worth of trying :slight_smile: …would be nice tho…

Reseller account would work also propably,… but not sure of how it would work with multiple logins with same account…

and also, no “real” reseller accounts could co-exist with helpdesk “reseller” account since one site can only be included in one reseller account.

• Yorkki