webmin Update - PHP Loading ssue

I had an auto Webmin update in the last week that seems to have messed up the PHP from loading properly on an Apache Web Server. Basically the PHP file is loading and not being interpreted by the web browser. I am running Wordpress on the server, but from what I seem to have run down, it appears to be directly related to the PHP. The Apache articles I found indicate to modify httpd.conf file to “AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php”. I was not sure if this is the right course of action with Webmin. There were a few other module updates this week and I have restarted the modules and the server several times. I looked around in the most recent posts to see if anyone else had the problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or is there a forum post I missed already indicating how to resolve this. The server is a cloud server with Ubuntu 12.10 loaded. I have also logged into the server tonight and did an APT-GET Upgrade which found a few things that were not loaded by webmin. Let me know if you need any other info. I am in a hurry to get this back up since the server is in production.




Did you by chance recently perform an upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 12.10? Or had you always been using 12.10?

One thing you may want to try is to go into System Settings -> Re-Check Config, and to see if it detects any problems. In particular, there’s a PHP check it’ll do to verify some of your PHP settings.

Also, what does this command output:

dpkg -l php5



Hi Eric:

Thanks for posting. I built the server on 12.10 on Rackspace Cloud. I did a standard LAMP install and update.

Here is the output from the dpkg -l php5:

| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
un php5 (no description available)

I am still relatively new to Apache and Linux, but I am picking up pretty quickly. I did all the server setup from the command line, and then installed the Webmin to do the monitoring, and reduce the amount of stuff I had to learn command wise right away. I had Webmin set to automatically install the patches. I don’t normally do this, but I tested it on another box for a while, and for a couple of months I did not have any problems with the updates. I figured I was in the clear on Linux vs. having to examine every update on Windows and let others test it first. Let me know if you need any other info.


I managed to fix the issue with the following command:

sudo apt-get purge libapache2-mod-php5 php5 &&
apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 php5

I found it in this article:


I assumed that it was a similar problem. So a re-install fixed it. Thanks for your help.