Webmin 1.870 released

I just updated to 1.870, and Virtualmin is telling my the system doesn’t support IPv6. Every virtual host that was created before the update to 1.870, that is used has an IPv6 address, and can be reached using that address.

I would like to report that, after updating to new Webmin, CPU usage goes high for no reason (20-35%). I know that it’s not that much, but my server has 24 cores and with all main components (postfix/dovecot/apache/bind/clamAV/spamassassin/proftpd/mysql) enabled, it was showing 0% CPU usage (more than 14 months). So average 30% usage is so huge for stable system like this. I would like to know why it’s acting like this

spamassassin and clamav are resource hogs. Have you tried running top or any other diagnostic tools to see what is using the cpu?

Does your system have swap memory configured? If not, this is a known bug; if you force an update of the theme in the Theme Options page, it’ll fix it.

If your system does have swap configured, then the problem is something else. We’ll need to troubleshoot further.

Thanks Joe, I didn’t have swap, so the method u said fixed my problem. Now I want to report 2 another problems which really most annoying among all the issues I mentioned before:

1. When I open webmin or virtualmin with ip.address:10000, it directly goes to the last page I was on my latest session instead of going to home page (which makes me really mad, because once I closed my browser after creating virtual server, so when I did open virtualmin after several hours, it tried to create same virtual server again and gave the error like "u already have server with this name). It’s really annoying to see last process being repeated after relogging to webmin/virtualmin
  2. When I restart any service (for example apache or postfix) from home page of Webmin under “Server Status”, service gets restarted, but page not loading back to home like it was at 1.860 (left panel stays normal, but right window goes completely blank instead of displaying home page)

And, I want a little information from you, Joe. I changed my real-time system information update delay to 60 sec. when I set my system up (I was refreshing it every time manually to see current status), but after 14 months, today I decided to make it 1 sec again, and now I see that if I send an email, or log in to webmin/virtualmin on 2nd page, or just open 4-5MB webpage that hosted on my system, immediately CPU goes up to 5-20%. I managed to see what process makes it go high, and it’s “/usr/libexec/webmin/authentic-theme/stats.cgi”. So I just want to know, will it go higher if 5000 connection comes my website at the same time, or is that just a status check process, which takes 5-20% CPU regardless what it’s checking? [I’m very very sorry for stupid question]

I haven’t seen the “corrupted content” thing. I’m guessing that means Usermin was killed by the OOM killer in the middle of the request. That’s just a wild guess, though. Try restarting it, and make sure you’ve got plenty of free memory (and if not, add either a swap file or swap partition). But, I doubt it’s just a different expression of a problem that you’ve always had. Because new theme version loads pages via a JavaScript call rather than loading it into a frame, it will cause problems like this to look different. In the past it might have been a timeout or half-loaded page instead of this particular error.

There uninitialized value warnings are being fixed as we find them. They come from turning on strict/warnings in Perl, which helps us find bugs, but also makes it quite chattery with a lot of these warnings for code that hasn’t been updated yet to be compliant with strict and warnings. They are usually harmless.

The “readline() on closed filehandle” might actually indicate a real bug, though. I’ll have to see if I can reproduce that.

That’s a weird one. I didn’t even know we’d made changes to the IPv6 detection. Is there a ticket about it in the issue tracker here or github yet? If not, we should open one up, as Jamie will need to answer this one (I’m not super familiar with the IPv6 code).

Real-time information is new in this version of the theme. It’s only been around for a couple of weeks in the development branch of Authentic, so I think you might be thinking of another option (we also collect data for Virtualmin and the system, including available software updates, bandwidth usage, etc. which happens every five minutes by default…and probably should never go below that because it’s quite resource-intensive).

So I just want to know, will it go higher if 5000 connection comes my website at the same time,

Your website has nothing to do with stats.cgi usage. It is polled only for active Webmin logins; so, unless you have 5000 Webmin (or Virtualmin/Cloudmin) users logged in at once and they all have realtimes stats access, you’ll never have 5000 clients accessing stats.cgi. For most installations, there will only be one or two active connections, specifically whatever root/administrator logins that are open.

ok Joe, but this it directly goes to the last page I was on my latest session instead of going to home page is annoying

please, when I recall the bookmark eg. https://domain.com:10000/?virtualmin it always has to go to System Information (sysinfo.cgi)

thanks

Yeah, I think this is a new feature of the theme; which I think was meant to be an improvement, but I think maybe it’s not so nice. I almost never want to return to the page I was on before…I usually finish what I’m doing before I close Virtualmin tab, and so this recall is just confusing.