Webmin 1.401 breaks and deletes VM Pro

Please call me and we can get this done. -Billy 1.817.312.8211

Please join my meeting at
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/836661741

I’ll leave this open until we talk. My skype IM is billy.dean.clark and yahoo is froggydetail

To fix this you have to manually re-install webmin-virtual-server – DO NOT RE-RUN THE INSTALL SCRIPT.

And it looks like Joe/Jamie are busy so if you need this ASAP you can always hire a person here like me.

You can also see that my work is impeccable – Just read what others have said about my work for them at http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/jobs/looking-for-jobs.html

can you jump in right now? do you accept paypal?

Yes I can on both.

I’ll skype you

i just added you to my skype, please go ahead accept me and start this go2m

Please join my meeting at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/836661741

thanks!

gotomeeting is a windows/mac only thing – I use linux only.

Joe this is a solaris install done by Joynet who say that webmin/virtualmin are fully supported but by all accounts the docs I read and the comments from you in the past solaris isn’t supported.

In fact this Joynet has completely screwed up the linux/unix hierarchy. Wget doesn’t even work correctly – You cant get VM Pro installed because this install has the wrong env path’s set.

They claim that Joyent is your largest deployment. I can not believe this after looking at this server install.

Joe this is a solaris install done by Joynet who say that webmin/virtualmin are fully supported but by all accounts the docs I read and the comments from you in the past solaris isn't supported.

Solaris is definitely supported, and Joyent have been using Virtualmin since the very earliest days. They know what they’re doing.

In fact this Joynet has completely screwed up the linux/unix hierarchy. Wget doesn't even work correctly -- You cant get VM Pro installed because this install has the wrong env path's set.

They have a custom Webmin/Virtualmin install. We thought the Upgrade to Professional button worked well on Joyent systems, but it doesn’t seem to. We work with them regularly, however, and the problem will be fixed (whether its on our end or theirs…probably ours).

They claim that Joyent is your largest deployment. I can not believe this after looking at this server install.

They are. They’ve been a great friend to Virtualmin over the years, and they know their business. It doesn’t look like a usual Virtualmin deployment–but it’s still a good deployment. (In fact, they came up with a lot of the techniques we use for PHP and Ruby on Rails. We modified them a bit to make them more sane on Linux, but they definitely provided a lot of guidance.)

Well this upgrade from GPL to Pro is completely broke – right now only webmin is installed and trying to get the Pro to install again has not worked.

Well this upgrade from GPL to Pro is completely broke -- right now only webmin is installed and trying to get the Pro to install again has not worked.

That would be our fault, not Joyent’s. The Upgrade to Professional feature is our code, and should work without pain…if it doesn’t, we’ve failed. :wink:

Billy, if you’d like to contact me via email with the details of this system, I’ll drop in and fix it, and get Jamie on the task of making sure future upgraders are not hit with this bug.

I can’t get over there env stuff either – it follows no lunix/unix setup – instead of using /usr/local/bin they use /opt/csw/bin/ which I completely fail to understand why any unix OS would do such a silly thing.

Oh, yeah, my email is joe@virtualmin.com.

I can't get over there env stuff either -- it follows no lunix/unix setup -- instead of using /usr/local/bin they use /opt/csw/bin/ which I completely fail to understand why any unix OS would do such a silly thing.

This is a standard location on Solaris. Weird, I know, but non-system stuff goes in /opt on Solaris. Interestingly, if you read the Red Hat packaging guidelines, they also require third party software to install into /opt. So, some big name third party apps for RHEL install into /opt. We’ve opted not to go that route (pun not intended), since experienced Linux admins, like you, would be utterly confused by packages installing into /opt. :wink:

RH sings to a entirely different tune then the average linux OS.

Just look how many times they have broken libraries without telling of the changes.

And solaris? WOW what a messed up OS – it will be one I never use for any reason.

And solaris? WOW what a messed up OS -- it will be one I never use for any reason.

Don’t teach your granny how to suck eggs. Sun was doing UNIX before most of us were born, and certainly before I ever used a shell. I was using a Commodore 64 when those guys were building the original Sun workstations and popularizing UNIX. :wink:

I actually agree, and think Solaris needs a MAJOR overhaul in several areas–the standard system tools feel ancient, their package management is a joke, they don’t support group quotas, and the have some odd limits in uncomfortable places. But, they get some things right. Solaris Zones are, by far, the best option for virtualized hosting right now. From a stability and performance standpoint, they rock the socks off anything for Linux. Xen is stable enough but a resource hog in contrast. vservers/OpenVZ is roughly as efficient but has some weird stability issues if not configured very carefully. And, of course, Joyent are selling virtualized system hosting…so Solaris is a smart choice. It takes getting used to, and I certainly prefer working in Linux, but it’s a really solid OS. Reliability of Solaris is definitely among the best in the world.

Different strokes for different folks, and all. (Jamie’s also a big fan of Solaris, and the first version of Webmin worked only on Solaris. Sun’s been a supporter of Webmin over the years, too. We like Sun, even if they are imperfect. We’ve all got room for improvement, I reckon.)

Point taken. But seriously linux/unix admin follow basic hierarchy. /usr/bin /bin /usr/local – heck even BSD uses that now. So why can’t solaris ?

Guess I need to brush up on my solaris – first on list is asprin and beer the solaris LOL

No it does not. I am new to VM Pro so not sure how I would do anything outside of the default settings. I liked the framed version and would not change it so the theme was not by my choice. This accelerator is brand new and I’ve only logged into it about 10-15 times total. The upgrade to the 1.401, PowerDNS, Mail Relay. I think these all were tried at the same time. The only install before those is phpmyadmin. That is the extent of what I’ve done inside Virtualmin.

Here are some logs if they help any:

from etc/webmin/config
passwd_cindex=2
real_os_type=Sun Solaris
gotoone=1
realname=
os_version=11
passwd_file=/etc/shadow
tempdelete_days=7
os_type=solaris
hostnamemode=0
ld_path=/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/apache2/lib:/opt/csw/bdb4/lib:/opt/csw/bdb43/lib:/opt/csw/flex-2.5.31/lib:/opt/csw/gcc3/lib:/opt/csw/lighttpd/lib:/opt/csw/mysql4/lib:/opt/csw/mysql5/lib:/opt/csw/postgresql/lib:/opt/csw/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/lib
ownmods_lbt=mysql apache virtual-server passwd proc cron change-user htaccess-htpasswd mailboxes virtualmin-dav virtualmin-svn
help_width=
gotomodule=
logusers=
passwd_pindex=1
passwd_mindex=4
nofeedbackcc=2
hostnamedisplay=
referers_none=1
feedback_to=
passwd_uindex=0
noremember=
deftab=system
readonly_lbt=virtual-server
real_os_version=11
logfiles=1
sysinfo=0
logfullfiles=
by_view=0
logtime=168
log=1
logperms=
texttitles=1
md5pass=1
theme=blue-theme
nohostname=
notabs=0
ld_env=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
showlogin=0
notabs_lbt=1
find_pid_command=ps -ef | grep NAME | grep -v grep | awk ‘{ print $2 }’
logmodules=
path=/sbin:/bin:/opt/csw/apache2/sbin:/opt/csw/sbin/:/opt/csw/bin/:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/csw/apache2/sbin:/opt/csw/sbin/:/opt/csw/bin/:/opt/csw/gcc3/bin:/opt/csw/gnu:/opt/csw/mysql5/bin:/opt/csw/mysql4/bin:/opt/csw/postgresql/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin
logclear=
product=webmin
help_height=
lang_admin=en
theme_admin=blue-theme

i saw this in the system logs that happened about the same time i performed the upgrade as virtualmin suggested:

Changed file /etc/webmin/security-updates/config

1a2,3
> sched_action=0
> sched_email=billy.clark@rassai.com

Changed file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

42a43
> 0 0 * * * /etc/webmin/security-updates/update.pl

Created file /etc/webmin/security-updates/update.pl

0a1,10
> #!/opt/csw/bin/perl
> open(CONF, “/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf”);
> while(<CONF>) {
> $root = $1 if (/^root=(.*)/);
> }
> close(CONF);
> $ENV{‘WEBMIN_CONFIG’} = “/etc/webmin”;
> $ENV{‘WEBMIN_VAR’} = “/var/webmin”;
> chdir("$root/security-updates");
> exec("$root/security-updates/update.pl", @ARGV) || die “Failed to run $root/security-updates/update.pl : $!”;

here is a link to the joyent forum post that i put out there:
http://discuss.joyent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=175775#p175775

No it does not. I am new to VM Pro so not sure how I would do anything outside of the default settings. I liked the framed version and would not change it so the theme was not by my choice. This accelerator is brand new and I’ve only logged into it about 10-15 times total. The upgrade to the 1.401, PowerDNS, Mail Relay. I think these all were tried at the same time. The only install before those is phpmyadmin. That is the extent of what I’ve done inside Virtualmin.

Here are some logs if they help any:

from etc/webmin/config
passwd_cindex=2
real_os_type=Sun Solaris
gotoone=1
realname=
os_version=11
passwd_file=/etc/shadow
tempdelete_days=7
os_type=solaris
hostnamemode=0
ld_path=/lib:/usr/lib:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/apache2/lib:/opt/csw/bdb4/lib:/opt/csw/bdb43/lib:/opt/csw/flex-2.5.31/lib:/opt/csw/gcc3/lib:/opt/csw/lighttpd/lib:/opt/csw/mysql4/lib:/opt/csw/mysql5/lib:/opt/csw/postgresql/lib:/opt/csw/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/lib
ownmods_lbt=mysql apache virtual-server passwd proc cron change-user htaccess-htpasswd mailboxes virtualmin-dav virtualmin-svn
help_width=
gotomodule=
logusers=
passwd_pindex=1
passwd_mindex=4
nofeedbackcc=2
hostnamedisplay=
referers_none=1
feedback_to=
passwd_uindex=0
noremember=
deftab=system
readonly_lbt=virtual-server
real_os_version=11
logfiles=1
sysinfo=0
logfullfiles=
by_view=0
logtime=168
log=1
logperms=
texttitles=1
md5pass=1
theme=blue-theme
nohostname=
notabs=0
ld_env=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
showlogin=0
notabs_lbt=1
find_pid_command=ps -ef | grep NAME | grep -v grep | awk ‘{ print $2 }’
logmodules=
path=/sbin:/bin:/opt/csw/apache2/sbin:/opt/csw/sbin/:/opt/csw/bin/:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/csw/apache2/sbin:/opt/csw/sbin/:/opt/csw/bin/:/opt/csw/gcc3/bin:/opt/csw/gnu:/opt/csw/mysql5/bin:/opt/csw/mysql4/bin:/opt/csw/postgresql/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin
logclear=
product=webmin
help_height=
lang_admin=en
theme_admin=blue-theme

i saw this in the system logs that happened about the same time i performed the upgrade as virtualmin suggested:

Changed file /etc/webmin/security-updates/config

1a2,3
> sched_action=0
> sched_email=billy.clark@rassai.com

Changed file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

42a43
> 0 0 * * * /etc/webmin/security-updates/update.pl

Created file /etc/webmin/security-updates/update.pl

0a1,10
> #!/opt/csw/bin/perl
> open(CONF, “/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf”);
> while(<CONF>) {
> $root = $1 if (/^root=(.*)/);
> }
> close(CONF);
> $ENV{‘WEBMIN_CONFIG’} = “/etc/webmin”;
> $ENV{‘WEBMIN_VAR’} = “/var/webmin”;
> chdir("$root/security-updates");
> exec("$root/security-updates/update.pl", @ARGV) || die “Failed to run $root/security-updates/update.pl : $!”;

here is a link to the joyent forum post that i put out there:
http://discuss.joyent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=175775#p175775