Whenever I log in to virtualmin and there are available updates, I click on the link to perform the updates. Today, while the updates were being processed, I closed the browser tab and since then all updates stop at this point:
"Setting up webmin (1.401) …"
Is there anything I can do or any place I can look to see if I can find the answer?
If you’re still using clamscan, rather than clamdscan, it’s know to be very, very, very, stupidly slow on some platforms. When Webmin triggers a Virtualmin configuration check, it runs clamscan to be sure it works…if you’ve got one of the clamscan versions that is stupidly slow, your browser will time out while waiting for it, and the post installation script will fail.
The solution is to run it from the command line and let that process complete. apt-get (I assume you’re using apt, as it’s the only one that acts this way, I think, though you haven’t told us your OS/version, which would be wise in subsequent posts if the issue persists) may tell you to run dpkg with some option to force configuration to occur. Follow that advice, and all should be well.
well I forgot to tell the os/version…It’s a debian 4.0 virtual environment.
I executed in the command line apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, all went well and did not ask to run dpkg…then I went to virtualmin webinterface, and updated two packages that were listed for available updates. Everything worked out
thanks a lot.
By the way, I used to have a lot of problems logging in and replying to this forum, but for now it seems ok to me