Virtualmin won't request certificates (gets stuck on "Configuring webserver to use new certificate and key ..")


I have a small recent issue with Virtualmin. I used to be able to update virtual server certificates by going to Virtualmin -> Server Configuration -> Manage SSL Certificate -> Let’s Encrypt -> Request Certificate, however since recently the operation won’t complete. The output:

Requesting a certificate for, from Let’s Encrypt …
… request was successful!
Configuring webserver to use new certificate and key …

And then it hangs forever. When I back out of the page, the certificate has not been renewed.

I tried looking for the logs but I’m unable to find anything. The logs in /var/log/letsencrypt do not contain recent nor relevant information.

When renewing the certificate through Webmin -> Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> SSL Encrypton -> Let’s Encrypt -> Request Certificate however, the operation completes successfully with this following output:

Requesting a new certificate for, using the website directory /home/ …
… request succeeded!

Configuring Webmin to use new cert and key …

… done!

This leads me to believe it’s either an issue with the www subdomain (as it isn’t mentioned in the second output, which succceeds) or with Virtualmin.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Update on the situation (for those who may encounter this issue later on):

It seems the error has resolved itself. I tried renewing the certificate today, and it succeeded. I did free some disk space because my drives were almost full, not sure if the problems were related. I did not update any packages in the meantime, and I also did not restart the system. It could also have been an issue with the Let’s Encrypt servers. Hope this may help anyone.

Consider this issue resolved!

Issue resurfaced again today. Hopefully this time I’ll be able to debug it and get to the root cause. Will update if I find the cause.

However, due to the spacing between the occurrences I highly suspect that it is a package incompatibility, that was solved last time by a package upgrade. So maybe all that is needed is to wait for packages to update.

And after updating packages (which includes the kernel version) and freeing up some space on my /boot partition its working again. One of those must be the cause.