Virtualmin version outdated (GPL) after Webmin upgrade

Hi,
I have upgraded the webmin as proposed, to v1.941 on Jessy server (Debian Linux 8) and the dashboard displays in red the Virtualmin version 5.04 and say it is outdated.
But,
I cannot find out how to upgrade easily that version. No automatic upgrade is proposed for 5 days.
Can you please help me ?
thanks per advance.
regards

Hi,

You would need to check that you have Virtualmin repos enabled in cat /etc/apt/sources.list.

It should contain at the bottom of the file Virtualmin repos, like:

deb http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt virtualmin-jessie main
deb http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt virtualmin-universal main

If it doesn’t add it.

Later run:

apt-get clean --dry-run
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

You few years behind with updates, wow!

1 Like

hi,
I am not sure that will work because :slight_smile: the install of Virtualmin 5.04 GPL has been done by adding the module in Webmin 1.941 configuration.
But Webmin 1.941 configuration does not propose any other Virtualmin module or does not even upgrade its own modules (!!)

Well, it might be complex to setup Virtualmin without automated script.

You can still install it manually, by download the package manually.

@Joe We don’t support installing Virtualmin from Webmin Modules/Third party module from pool, right?

Installing Virtualmin via Webmin modules is a terrible idea, and it’s no longer supported in the install script (and hasn’t been for many years).

But, we have a Webmin (wbm) modules repo, as well. I don’t remember how to configure it (it’s been a decade or more since I tested with it, as we don’t support any platforms that need it, anymore, but it doesn’t add any hassle to keep it alive and metadata updated, so it’s still alive). But, somewhere in Webmin configuration there’s a way to add a repo for downloading Webmin modules, I think.

Those repos are here:

GPL: https://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/wbm/
Pro: https://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/wbm/

It’s not safe to run install.sh on an existing production system, but for future installs, please use the install.sh script, which will setup apt or yum repositories for you and updates will be easy. It’ll also perform all the configuration you need for a comfortable environment out of the box. Debian 8 is EOL, so it’s time to migrate to something else anyway.

Thank you ,
I installed all via a script, that is I think the problem to be able to

recover.
I think it is in webmin config >
lt is written :" Modules are typically distributed in .wbm files, each of which can contain one or more modules. Modules can also be installed from RPM files if supported by your operating system."
I chose “Third party modules " and put your GPL link: this link has virtualmin modules with many more recent versions, but when I try to select I do not see those versions (see screen copy): why ? I even selected yes on " Ignore dependencies?”. Do I have to suppress the existing Virtualmin module installed ? and if it does not success, this old module is not there any more? What are the dump to do ? Does “export module” exports also the configurations ? No I suppose.
thank you !
best regards

I have no idea. You’re using stuff I haven’t touched in a decade or more. The recommended way to install Virtualmin is with the install script we provide; that’s not how you got to where you are, but I can’t guess at how you got where you are.

No, of course not. If you installed from an RPM or deb, you would need to upgrade with an RPM or deb. If you installed from a wbm module, you need to upgrade with a wbm. It shouldn’t be hard. It shouldn’t result in errors. If it does, something is wrong. But it is still not even clear to me how you installed anything (you’ve said “with a script” but there is a Webmin install script, which has never been recommended for systems that have a proper package manager, but will work).

You can check what kind of install it is by asking the package manager:

On CentOS:

rpm -q wbm-virtual-server

or, on Debian/Ubuntu:

dpkg -s webmin-virtual-server

If it’s not a package, then I guess it was a wbm.

What are you trying to do? Export module just creates an archive of the module and has nothing to do with, well, anything we’re talking about. It’s not any kind of system backup. If you want to migrate to a new Virtualmin system (you should…you’re running on an EOL OS on a seemingly fragile and poorly configured and out of date Virtualmin with seemingly no recollection of how the system was installed or configured), then you want to make backups of your domains in Virtualmin, and then move them to a new system that has a known-good Virtualmin installation and restore those backups.

Use the Virtualmin install script next time (what you get when you browse to “Download” on virtualmin.com) and you’ll never have confusing questions about upgrades again.