i bought virtualmin a few minutes ago, and tried to install. the installer fails with this message:
failed to detect sources on http://xxxx:PASSWORD@software.virtualmin.com/suse/10.0/x86_64
when i use my license-information to logon to the named server, i get an empty directory.
does this mean, there is no package for the named architecture?
since os-selection gives the choice suse 10.0 (which my system is) this is veeery ugly. i should finish the installation this weekend.
what can we do?
Sorry for your troubles. SUSE isn’t yet supported on x86_64. But I believe I’ve got almost all of the packages ready there…I suspect I can have it available by this evening.
I’ll ping this thread when I have confirmed that all of the packages are in the right place.
thanks a lot. do you guys sleep sometimes?
Yes, actually, we both slept in today. Jamie and I are in Boston this weekend (on top secret Virtualmin business), and we spent too much time walking around Harvard, MIT, and the river yesterday.
But we’ve got nothing going on today, so I’ll have some time to set of some builds on my x86_64 machine. (I hope…I’m pretty sure the hotel wifi won’t block my VNC connection.)
are there any news concerning x86_64 on suse10?
OpenSUSE x86_64 isn’t terribly happy with qemu (which is where I usually build stuff), and it freezes quite often, so I’m having a hard time completing builds. I’m installing vmware now to see if maybe OpenSUSE will be happier with it. I also have a new x86_64 build system on the way here, and I’m going to set aside enough space on the disk for a native install of all of our platforms–so when things get ornery under a virtual system, I’ll be able to reboot into the native system and get things done.
In the meantime, that means I haven’t been able to get the packages for OpenSUSE on x86_64 finished up yet…but I’m working as fast as possible to try to get a workable environment…once I find a working environment, it should wrap up pretty quickly.
I got it figured out…OpenSUSE on x86_64 requires a huge amount of memory–the reason it was freezing was because it was running out of memory in the qemu virtual machine, and the sluggishness of swap thrashing in an already painfully slow virtual machine made it look dead.
I expect to finish the packages by this afternoon. I’ll ping this thread once done.
Yes. It’s been done for a couple of days. Sorry, I forgot to ping this thread when finished, but I did post a news item about it:
Please let me know if you have any problems making it all go. I’ll be happy to assist with any problems that arise.
Thanks for the update, Gerhard! I’m happy to hear it worked well. Give us a holler if you run into any troubles.