Virtualmin Set Up DNS on a VPS - Stuck in Wizard

I am trying to learn how to host my own WordPress sites on a panel, to graduate from shared hosting with cPanel.

I’ve managed to get Virualmin/Webmin set up on the VPS. I am stuck on the DNS part of set up. I’ve tried to understand the documentation that I have found but it does not seem to apply to my situation.

Virtualmin tells me it is located at server.chrsxxx.info. I have set up ns1 and ns2.chrsxxx.info at domain to point to IP address of the VPS. I also set chrsxxx.info to use ns1 and ns2.chrsxxx.info.

I thought that I could use ns1 and ns2.chrsxxx.info as the nameservers for the Virtualmin, but it won’t accept them.

For my WP sites hosted on the VPS, i hoped to use ns1 and ns2.chrsxxx.info.

If I have simply not found the right documentation on how to do this, please feel free to point it out to me.

Thanks.

I thought that I could use ns1 and ns2.chrsxxx.info as the nameservers for the Virtualmin, but it won’t accept them.

What do you mean, “it won’t accept them”? What specific error are you getting?

Virtualmin prefers to have itself (127.0.0.1) be one of the nameservers it uses for the system resolver, but Virtualmin doesn’t care what DNS servers you use in records…though config check will try to prevent you from using a DNS server that doesn’t work or resolve.

Do you DNS server names resolve? Your registrar needs to be configured appropriately (this is completely outside of the control of Virtualmin/Webmin, and is done entirely at your registrar), and then your DNS server(s) need to have an appropriate zone file with correct A records.

Virtualmin can create the initial zone file for you, when you create a new domain, which you can then add A records for the DNS servers to.

wrong post sorry