Virtualmin pro queries

Hello,

1. Wanted to know if its possible to set email access per user basis with virtualmin pro?
    Example on same domain all users can access mail through webmail but only few selected users can access mail through POP3/IMAP using mail clinets?

2. I have been using virtualmin gpl on my server so if I buy pro license is there a script to upgrade and similarly to downgrade?

3. If i move servers can the same pro licence be used on new server?

4. Will I be correct in assuming that 45-day money back grantee is basically a 45 day trial, so If I don’t want to use pro version within 45, I will get money back no questions asked?

Thanks
Hemant

Howdy,

Wanted to know if its possible to set email access per user basis with virtualmin pro? Example on same domain all users can access mail through webmail but only few selected users can access mail through POP3/IMAP using mail clinets?

Virtualmin Pro and GPL would be the same in this regard. There isn’t really a way to allow email access via web apps, but not via mail clients.

If a user has an email account, they would be able to access their email both using an email client, as well as using a webmail client.

I have been using virtualmin gpl on my server so if I buy pro license is there a script to upgrade and similarly to downgrade?

Upgrading is as simple as going into System Settings, and in there, you can click “Upgrade to Virtualmin Pro”.

Downgrading is a little more involved, but it’s still possible. You can read about how to downgrade back to Virtualmin GPL here in the secion “Downgrading Virtualmin Professional to GPL”:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/uninstalling

If i move servers can the same pro licence be used on new server?

Sure, it’s no problem to move your Virtualmin Pro license from one server to another.

Instructions for migrating to a new server are here:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/migrate

Will I be correct in assuming that 45-day money back grantee is basically a 45 day trial, so If I don’t want to use pro version within 45, I will get money back no questions asked?

That’s correct! If you request your money back, you’ll receive a full refund.

If you ask for a refund, we might ask if there’s anything we could do to improve Virtualmin.

But you don’t have to answer, and you’ll get a refund no matter what if you ask for it within 45 days! :slight_smile:

-Eric

Thanks for the detailed information Eric.

I was really hoping to have the user level email access feature with pro version :wink: so that I don’t have to dig around customizations and can accomplish it with few clicks in Virtualmin :slight_smile:

Any reason why its not available in virtualmin, I mean that kind of feature might have been requested in past?

Anyways since there is money back gurantee I guess I should try the pro version anyways.

Thanks for the information.

Hemant

Howdy,

Hmm, it’s possible that I’m not understanding what you’re asking for exactly, regarding the user level email access.

However, I don’t believe anyone has requested that before… and I’m not even sure how I’d go about setting something like that up :slight_smile:

Email access is provided by Dovecot… so when a user connects to your server to check email, it’s Dovecot that’s interacting with that user.

That’s the case whether the user is connecting via RoundCube, or a desktop-based email client.

From the perspective of Dovecot, they’re both the same… those are both just tools that speak “IMAP”, and are used for obtaining email from Dovecot.

So the only way I can think of to achieve what I think you’re asking for, would be to have some sort of IP address restrictions defined within Dovecot, and have those associated with certain users.

Dovecot would have to know what users were allowed to connect from the webmail app, which would come from the IP 127.0.0.1, and then what users were allowed to connect from other IP’s.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe Dovecot has such a feature.

But yeah, regarding Virtualmin – do feel free to try it, and you won’t have any trouble at all obtaining a refund if you ask for it within 45 days.

Of course, if there’s something that can be done to improve it, please feel free to let us know! But if you discover that it’s not for you, no problem, and we’ll give you your money back.

Have a good one!

-Eric

The only way I see to achieve this restriction, “only specific users may access mail via IMAP”, would be to block the used ports from the outside via firewall, and either allow specific IPs in (if the users have static IPs), or use a VPN, have the users connect to that, and allow the VPN IPs in.

The feature which I am looking for is offered (at least part of it) by few other system like iRedmail (have never used it personally just found by searching on net http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html) have the ability to restrict services per user level

What I am looking for is actually providing email service to users and that will be based on how much they are willing to pay :slight_smile:

I also know it has to be dovecot and have found out how to restrict user based on service and am working on ip based access but that needs lots of manual work to add/delete each user so was just hoping that it could be automated with virtualmin

Oh and by the way does the virtualmin demo here works have been getting 503 error every time I tried since yesterday

Thanks
Hemant

I believe they had to take the Virtualmin demo offline, as some spammers had figured out how to exploit it to send spam. They’re looking into how to further lock it down in a way that makes it functional, but not so functional that bad guys can use it for spamming :slight_smile:

-Eric