virtualmin - postfix and mysql

very quick question
Does virtualmin’s postfix use the mysql database?
Thanks
Sam

Howdy,

By default? No.

Can it? I believe so, though I also recall seeing Joe/Jamie recommend against that on more than one occasion :slight_smile:
-Eric

well that does help me then, heres the problem, after all my mysql troubles i thought i will uninstall and reinstall mysql(which didnt fix the problem btw) This morning i wake up go to check my email and it cant receive, i then check iptables because using port checker it said it was blocked. So re run script but still nothing all the other ports run, try reloading postfix , no errors and is running fine and can receive mail and read it using read user mail. so i am so confused!
any ideas?

Well, the first thing to do would be to verify that Postfix really is running.

If you do this:

netstat -an | grep :25

Do you see something like this:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

Next, try running this:

iptables -L -n | grep 25

Do you see an ACCEPT rule listed for packets coming in on port 25?

If yes, but you still can’t access your email on port 25, your ISP may be blocking that port – it’s not at all uncommon these days, and it’s possible they just began doing that.

You may want to enable an alternate SMTP port, such as 465/SMTPS or 587/Submission.

You can do that by going into Virtualmin, then clicking Webmin -> Servers -> Postfix -> SMTP Authentication And Encryption, and check both "Enable SASL SMTP authentication?" and "Enable TLS encryption".

Make sure you open up ports 465 and 587 on your firewall.

Then, configure Outlook to hit one of those alternate ports, and you should be set!
-Eric

thanks for the reply!
the problem was with port 110 and 143, i reinstalled virtualmin on another computer (with no problems) but i am still running the old version with some hope of learning what went wrong i am baffeled if i am honest any ideas?