Virtualmin Package Updates

I have a few questions about updates in Virtualmin.

At the bottom of System Information> System> there is sometimes a line that looks like

Package updates
10 updates to system packages are available. Use the Virtualmin Package Updates module to install them selectively.

And some times on the same screen there is a section

Package Updates
5 updates to Virtualmin packages are available. Use the Virtualmin Package Updates module to install them selectively.

libapache2-mod-php5 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (apache 2 module) 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.12
openssl Secure Socket Layer (SSL) binary and related cryptographic tools 0.9.8g-4ubuntu3.10
php-pear PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Repository 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.12
php5 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (meta-package) 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.12
php5-cgi server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (CGI binary) 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.12

My first question is, apart from the obvious 5 updates in one and 10 updates in the other. What is the difference between these two update messages.

My next question is how do I know which updates to run on my server?

Really, No response what so ever?

Really, No response what so ever?

I’m sorry that you’re frustrated, but there can be a lot of forum posts on any given day. While we attempt to respond to most of them, we simply can’t get to each one. If you feel you require a response to an issue, you’re welcome to purchase a Virtualmin Pro license, which comes with Premium Support.

However, I will attempt to answer your question :slight_smile:

My suggestion would be to always update packages when new ones are made available by either your distribution vendor or by Virtualmin. That’s the only way you’ll be able to keep up with new features as well as important security updates.

The only difference in the two messages you’re seeing above is that the one is saying they’re Virtualmin-specific related updates, and the other are general updates provided by your distribution.

But you should update either way :slight_smile:

-Eric