Virtualmin on Joyent dedicated Accelerators

I’m considering upgrading my shared Joyent account to a dedicated Accelerator.

I’m a bit confused by the Joyent and VM forums about how VM Pro is used on a dedicated Joyent system. For example:

• Is the default Joyent VM install on dedicated systems the Pro version or the GPL or a custom?
  • Do I pay VM for additional services and upgrades?
  • Does VM Pro handle the Joyent Solaris installs well on the dedicated systems?

Sorry for all the grief but its not as obvious as it could be, and lots of the dedicated users apparently just use the pkg system for their installs and the command line for other configuration tasks.

- Is the default Joyent VM install on dedicated systems the Pro version or the GPL or a custom?

It is GPL. They have a somewhat customized Webmin and Virtualmin install, but theoretically the Upgrade to Professional feature should work without a hitch–though someone has reported some odd troubles just yesterday with an upgraded system. We’re looking into it.

- Do I pay VM for additional services and upgrades?

Yes, if you’re upgrading Virtualmin from GPL to Professional, you buy from us. That probably won’t always be the case, but it is for now.

- Does VM Pro handle the Joyent Solaris installs well on the dedicated systems?

Yes, we support Virtualmin Pro on Solaris Zones. There is the caveat that there seems to be an upgrade bug that we’re still working on. But we’ll take care of you if any problems arise.

Sorry for all the grief but its not as obvious as it could be, and lots of the dedicated users apparently just use the pkg system for their installs and the command line for other configuration tasks.

You’re quite right. We need to work more on getting things seamless for Joyent users. Joyent is currently the largest Virtualmin Pro and GPL deployment, and we’d like to keep everyone there (customers and techs) happy.

Are the Joyent Virtualmin modules provided in pkg format? I thought they were using wbm.gz packages. If that’s not so, that would probably explain why problems are arising in the upgrade process. We’ll need to accommodate that.

read this first:
http://discuss.joyent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=175812#p175812

you will be fine, just don’t upgrade vm pro, just enter the license information and use it out of the box as joyent has it setup, do not upgrade the VM Pro versin to 1.401.