Virtualmin not sending delivery and non notifications to incoming emails

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version CentOS Stream Linux 8
Webmin version usermin 1.861
Virtualmin version 7.5
Related packages postfix/dovecot

Hello
recently i noticed that when sending email to ANY recipient inside the webmin server or to ANY recipient outside the server i NEVER recive the delivery status notification.
Same if someone outside the server requeste the delivery notification , it does not recieve any message in return.

the notification is created only if i press the relative button in webmail
how to enable again delivery notifications?
thanks!

Webmin and Virtualmin have nothing to do with this.

Delivery notifications are a feature of mail clients…and it is optional for recipients to return them (I have my mail clients configured to ignore all delivery notification requests).

@leofabiani,

Further to @Joe’s comment, “read-receipt” as it’s often referred to is implemented a variety of different ways by different client software (ex. Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)

Frankly it’s not something you should “rely” on as @Joe noted it’s not always turned on, or for that matter even implemented.

Some providers use a hidden “pixel” in their HTML emails in hopes that if a person allows images to load they’re “pixel” will act as a means of collecting information about “opened” messages. Our backend SMTP provider has this featured which we use to get an “idea” of how many messages are received and read. However, even this feature is NOT perfect as MANY people block loading images.

delivery notifications are set from client but not returned by server to the sender (internal or external).

let’s be clear every email sent from the webmin server with the “delivery recepit return” are not returned from ANY recipient address (when requested).
every email received by the webmin server does not send NEVER delivery status notification (if requested by client) to the sender.

also i can confirm that it was normally working for 2 years and suddenly stopped (probably after some update)

The headers for read receipt and Disposition-Notification-To are added by the client (though, I guess a gateway/SMTP server could also add it or remove it via a milter or whatever, I don’t know anything about it as it’s not something I’ve ever used), but nothing the client or your server does can guarantee you will receive a reply.

We have changed nothing in the mail server configuration (Postfix, I guess, would be the only place we could interfere with this, but we don’t) that would alter this behavior.

So, we can rule out the “after some update” thing…we haven’t changed it, because we never did anything with it in the first place. Basically, we’re not touching this and never have. If you aren’t getting a read receipt, I would assume it’s because the recipient doesn’t want to send one, which isn’t something we have any control over.

I honestly don’t know how folks use it, but my quick scan of the RFC seems to confirm it is a client-side and recipient-side thing…probably not our area. I mean, we have Usermin webmail, though I’m not sure if it even supports read receipts (either requesting them or responding to them).

What mail client are you using? Are you sure it is adding the necessary headers? (And, again, even if you are sure the headers are added, we can’t control what the recipients do!)

hello, thanks for quick reply.

i send email from smtpcorp.com to address as below :

Received: from [10.93.56.120] (helo=PCSTUDIO)
by smtpcorp.com with esmtpsa (TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_SECP256R1__AES_256_GCM:256)
(Exim 4.94.2-S2G)
(envelope-from info@proteuselectric.it)
id 1pS3dA-ItkDLs-G8
for leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com; Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:18:32 +0000
Return-Receipt-To: “Proteus Electric Srl” info@proteuselectric.it

as you see there is a Return-Receipt-To: so the server should reply that the message is delivered to the address info@proteuselectric.it.

but nothing is sent to the address and in the webmail there is no option “delivery recepit is requested…”

where does the recepit disappear? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

the server is webmin with virtualmin installed
regards

also on webmail i don’t see , when composing email, an option to select delivery receipit… is that by design?
regards

p.s.
headers of received email to server also show receipit-to present but nothing is delivered to the recepit address

Return-Path: bT.adro3zcd30=8bss2bvau765=5pusp8fdw5@return.smtpcorp.com
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.4.6 (2021-04-09) on dns1.leofabiani.it
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-4.1 required=5.0 tests=BAYES_00,DKIMWL_WL_MED, DKIM_SIGNED,DKIM_VALID,DKIM_VALID_EF,HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS, HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED,SPF_HELO_PASS,SPF_PASS autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no version=3.4.6
X-Original-To: leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com
Delivered-To: leo.fabiani-proteuselektrik.com@dns1.leofabiani.it
Received: from e2i379.smtp2go.com (e2i379.smtp2go.com [103.2.141.123]) by dns1.leofabiani.it (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 11A304529D9F for leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com; Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:18:35 +0100 (CET)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=smtpcorp.com; s=a1-4; h=Feedback-ID:X-Smtpcorp-Track:Message-ID:Date: Subject:To:From:Reply-To:Sender:List-Unsubscribe; bh=lCjNrei7bcHx/oDaefe5RVtNbcAUUi67y4uskYn690A=; b=hRMi0i0fPx91TpbFqbfWnd+su8 9fZKZhO4x85hMP6zSHfeVfBmgRfPj0IOVtf8UfLX5DBMtahc2H7vC3z9gm8m9C59owqEGg5dLlOt+ 8PDJO01Y8SWM0JGsNyux/cOMsRukqKSOavAIwoHjMF6p+XBlEA9FATDFTE+6CwjSipsSlvecLxxkG 2s1i8LH/Xu+iKtMAYfK8abG2s3DdGCuGv97rxzO3l3RhQxUelbkG2pIbxmS2MCQcBDEqWIbcFwHJz TDXqoT5j/H2olhadKpe26hJFFF28aYwRzK15Z6Qg9giG/QR1txbIlaNf6jMn5613JpG5aYB3cQJ/I A5y0L/tg==;
Received: from [10.103.47.204] (helo=SmtpCorp) by smtpcorp.com with esmtpsa (TLS1.2:ECDHE_SECP256R1__RSA_SHA256__AES_256_GCM:256) (Exim 4.94.2-S2G) (envelope-from info@proteuselectric.it) id 1pS3dC-TRk24v-8b for leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com; Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:18:34 +0000
Received: from [10.93.56.120] (helo=PCSTUDIO) by smtpcorp.com with esmtpsa (TLS1.2:ECDHE_RSA_SECP256R1__AES_256_GCM:256) (Exim 4.94.2-S2G) (envelope-from info@proteuselectric.it) id 1pS3dA-ItkDLs-G8 for leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com; Tue, 14 Feb 2023 22:18:32 +0000
Return-Receipt-To: Proteus Electric Srl info@proteuselectric.it
To: Leo Fabiani leo.fabiani@proteuselektrik.com
Subject: prova delivery 2
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:18:31 +0100
Message-ID: !&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAALyVOzJ57XhIvzUaPiyI8mcBAKP8Ie1+epdFvEN2HAV1NSUAAAATzj0AABAAAABsefdTW4yXSq5s/ED6hf9TAQAAAAA=@proteuselectric.it
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=----=_NextPart_000_005D_01D940CA.A8B49A40
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 15.0
Thread-Index: AdlAwkH6NUuwN0A2SKOJaLOTqkTNJA==
Content-Language: it
X-Smtpcorp-Track: 1pS3djmtkDLsG8.7Li57-xo58RSk
Feedback-ID: 124112m:124112aZBLWCn:124112sAO_GoIy0O
X-Report-Abuse: Please forward a copy of this message, including all headers, to abuse-report@smtp2go.com

That’s up to the server. It’s not up to me, or Webmin, or Virtualmin, or you. The recipient decides whether they want to respond or not.

If the header is there, you’ve done all you can (and we know for sure it’s not anything on your server stripping it).

sorry but this is not a read recepit, but a delivery notification.
delivery notification is always delivered indipendently of user acceptance. (as non delivery )
the postifx server of webmin by default should return receipit…and webmin/virtualmin usese postfix.

That continues to be up to the receiving server. You cannot force a response.

We don’t alter this behavior. If Postfix does not do this by default, we don’t make it do it. I wouldn’t even know how.

Sorry, I should probably just step back from this conversation, as I’m afraid I’m not being very helpful. I don’t know how any of this works, as I’ve never used it. I do know, however, that it is up to the recipient how much information they provide.

You can see in the log if the email was accepted by the recipient server, but that’s independent of client-side read receipts and DSN headers (which I promise we do not touch and never have).

the receiving server is the virtualmin/webmin server…

also on webmail i don’t see , when composing email, an option to select delivery receipit… is that by design?
regards

Usermin supports DSN and read receipts. I didn’t know that, but I looked in the preferences (which is also something you could do) and see that it does in the section labeled “Delivery notifications”.

thanks i’m checking

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.