Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 10
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17-3
**Related products version:**Lightsail

I did a fresh install of Virtualmin on Amazon Lightsail instance.
I choose OS Only Debian10, Installed and secured MariaDB and installed --minimal Virtualmin.
Virtualmin installed and I could login and I followed the installation wizard.
I didn’t create a default Virtual Server.

On the first “Refresh and recheck configuration” check Virtualmin throw:

Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the $2 page.

To solve the issue I have to enter manually 127.0.0.1 or the instance internal IP (172.x.x.xxx) at Webmin=>Networking=>Network Configuration=>Hostname and DNS Client, DNS servers.
After a reboot it is gone. :neutral_face:

How to fix this permanently ?

Bernard

Hi,

It would depend on your system network configuration. However, you could try using Virtualmin configuration to disable this check explicitly, using System Settings ⇾ Virtualmin Configuration / Advanced options page to set Check resolv.conf for this system to No.

Note: This option will be removed with upcoming Virtualmin release (6.17+)

@Ilia is of course right, but the core problem is that resolv.conf is overwritten by Network Manager, which generally for me is causing more problems than it solves; on servers - still great for laptops and anything else. My solution in Debian is to disable and remove it, and just use the classic networking service. Have to configure the interfaces and might get tricky in the cloud though…

Without knowing how you’ve configured your network (or how your hosting provider configured it), we can’t know.

But, it’s not usually that important, as long as you’ve correctly setup your glue records at your registrar and DNS is functioning correctly for the world. We’re actually removing this from Virtualmin 7, as it causes more questions/problems than it prevents.

You can just make sure your DNS is right, and ignore this message.

Thanks, problem fixed.

Bernard

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.