Machine ID: 60ab768e3fbd4c23918884d09b8cd707
Boot ID: fef658d88e7f488e89ba3608d57d165e
Virtualization: vmware
Operating System: CentOS Stream 8
CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:centos:centos:8
Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-383.el8.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64

Installer just won’t go through and keeps showing:

[ERROR]  Your OS is not currently supported by this installer.
[ERROR]  You can probably run Virtualmin Professional on your system, anyway,
[ERROR]  but you'll have to install it using the manual installation process.

Followed best practices with update/clean etc.

Is CentOS 8 Stream just not support for installer? As I am sure I am running CentOS 8 Stream as OS with virtualmin installed (installed before version 7 VM and also on non stream centos).

I suspect this is because it’s on vmware if that makes any difference, as Centosos 8 Stream with working VM on another machine is on straight up PC desktop.

Any tips on how to resolve this?

Last time i asked no. Use Rocky 8.

Steve

We do not currently support Stream versions of CentOS (even in the beta Virtualmin 7 installer, though Ilia has done some experiments), and we are not particularly enthusiastic about adding such support.

Interesting. Virtualmin is definitely working on my other machines with stream version to which it was upgraded after virtualmin was installed.

Also I am sure you aware of regular versions going OOL soon and stream replacing them?

Either way, thanks for clarification.

Thanks, looking into it right away

1 Like

Search the forums for millions of posts on this topic.

We support Alma and Rocky 8 in the new beta Virtualmin 7 installer. And will support 9 pretty soon. We’ve nowhere said we’d support Stream.

You’ll find Stream works if you upgraded to it, and it may continue to work for some length of time. We make no promises about it continuing to work, and make no assurances about solving any problems that come up.

As a layman on the topic, that is not a good thing in my opinion. I think it’s going to very quickly become worse than Ubuntu is on constantly updating with God only knows what. Too many fingers in too many pies if you ask me.

I can’t disagree with that either, but as recommended above, Rocky 8 is a good alternative!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.