Virtualmin installation hangs, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, DigitalOcean IPV6

It seems that somehow or another when Virtualmin tries to modify resolv.conf during installation, something happens to the networking stack. I filed a bug report 3 weeks ago so that it won’t get lost amongst all the other posts: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/41038

In the meantime, a workaround that I have found to work is to destroy the symlink between /etc/resolv.conf and …/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf by doing ‘rm /etc/resolv.conf’. Then, I copy whatever is in …/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf into /etc/resolv.conf and run the installation. After installation, I recreate the symlink using dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf.

Still, I would rather stick with Ubuntu 14.04 for now and wait until 16.04.1 is out to see if it does anything, as Diabolico has mentioned.

Virtualmin installation hangs, Ubuntu 16.04 32bit 512mb, DigitalOcean IPV6, no private networking.

Two days ago I installed this droplet. Today I downloaded install.sh started it. It seemed to progress very slow and then it stalls at exactly the same point as seen in the first post. Differences with his setup: 32bit and no private netwoking.

After a reboot from the DO panel, I could login on ip:10000 and finish the post install wizard. Then did the system check and it aborts with the suexec error.

ubuntu 16.xx is not ready yet… wait for 16.xx.x…

edit : also 510 of ram for multiple sites is just poor - ubuntu core it self needs 2gb of ram to just run… also srv running on 32 bit - consider this as unsupported. If you need to run that low - you may be better to ask ubuntu users…

@unborn; sorry, your comment adds nothing. Yes, I will wait for 16.04.1 before I retry. I had good reason to try it now.

And then your edit: I think you don’t know what your talking about. 32 bit on low memory is recommended here on virtualmin, and with good reason. Why would you want a slower server and waiste resources for no reason? And that is also the reason why 32bit is supported: there is demand! I have a 14.04 setup like this(with NGINX), serving multiple sites stable and fast. Uptime over a year. Then there is the freshly installed 14.04 with virtualmin running: 128mb in use… And you say “needs 2gb of ram to just run”? Come on, you spread FUD. What you need depends on what you ask, period.

back on topic, please

I dont know from where unborn pulled that number but Ubuntu have all the info https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/preparing-to-install.html.

Ubuntu wont eat 2GB of RAM unless you are on the GUI shell with lots of opened softwares.

Virtualmin or even a webserver does not need the GUI shell since no one is looking at the desktop 24/7. You only need to start the services, configure it, set reminders and security filters and forget about it until an error occured

Hi, I looked on ubuntu min requirements on ubuntu site. usually users the newbies who runs ubuntu do run it with gui and I assumed you do too which was wrong. Sorry for that. My personal opinion is that 2gigs of ram is better then 512mb and its not that I am spreading FUD - if you want to use ubuntu, than fine, use it.

You guys are missing the point. The problem occurs even on a 4GB DigitalOcean droplet – surely more than enough to run Ubuntu. IPv4 on a 512mb droplet has no issues either.

For the benefit of anyone who’s coming here through Google or another search engine, the best workaround so far to address the issue is to type

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces, and under the eth0 for ipv4, enter this line:

dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8844 2001:4860:4860::8888 8.8.8.8 127.0.0.1

When installing, I get more verbose output than usual, but the install seems to work fine.

Alternatively, if you don’t make any changes and let the install hang, Virtualmin will still run, but you need to do a dpkg reconfigure after installation, manually reenable actions and suexec from Apache2, and reconfigure suexec such that the root directory is /home. The rest of the settings should work as per normal.

thank you, @trenzterra

you saved the day. adding 127.0.0.1 to the existing dns-nameservers line, did the trick

working on a on-premises vps

Cheers