Virtualmin installation error on CentOS 8 converted to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8

That would be a bad choice.

1 Like

@centrocuore I need to have a look at installation log. I need to know how installation script sees the converted OS. In that directory, where you ran install.sh script, there is a virtualmin-install.log file. Drag and drop it here please or send it to me in PM.

Unfortunately in the end I reformatted everything and restarted with Alma Linux 8 and the installation script of Virtualmin version 7 RC3 which did not give me any errors during the installation.
The reason that prompted me to change my mind was that the conversion procedure from CentOS 8 to RHEL 8 while using an official Red Hat tool, does not guarantee full compliance of the packages with respect to a clean installation of RHEL 8.
I therefore prefer to use Alma Linux 8 which is working very well at the moment.
Thanks anyway for your help.

1 Like

Yet, having an old installation log file would be very helpful.

This weekend, I will be migrating websites and mail from old server to the new one.
Later I will reformat the old server with CentOS 8 to do some tests of converting to RHEL 8 and installing Virtualmin again. It will be my concern to let you have what you need.
Thanks always.

It appears you can upload your iso for OVH servers.
Try this

Thank you for your suggestion.
But this solution could be fine for test and non-production environments where rapid response times and reliability of the solutions are obviously required.

Ok but is Kimsufi reliable enough for production usage? They don’t claim to be.

Affordable, dedicated servers aimed at amateur tech enthusiasts and SysAdmins who want to discover or try out dedicated server management.

I have been using Kimsufi Dedicated Servers for over 2 years and in all this time I have never had any problems or disruptions.
However, Kimsufi does not offer additional advanced services, such as: Firewall, additional IP addresses, external storage for backup, etc.

Hence my link above. The convert utility isnt always great, especially on production. It works fine for most of the time but others not. If conversion goes well for you, just keep a tab on software/kernel updates and make sure you have backups. Most providers dont provide RHEL image unfortunately hence the link above re manual iso. Personally think it is better to install original than to convert. I went with Alma (converted from CentOS) for now and will move to RHEL later when I can install from image (I’d like a clean install). I would perhaps check some kimsufi/sys forums on how to upload iso. Nicbaxter’s link is also a good start.

I did this more then once but only ( testing) openstack , where Yes then more options and much modern then the standard images.
BUT Lack of almost any kind of Support, though the problems where not the own ISO related every time again and again, it is your own iso image so … :frowning:
If you know what you do , or if production you can switch fast to a kind off alternative if things go wrong then ok.

It is very good for some extra knowledge to do this once and a while. :wink: ( cloudinit is a hmm part there)

Yeah agree @jotst :grin:

Searching the net I found several articles claiming that the CentOS 8 to RHEL 8 conversion process done using the convert2rhel script is not equivalent to a clean install of RHEL 8 using the ISO image.
It appears that the conversion script is failing to properly perform all necessary operations, such as replacing all packages and resolving dependencies.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.