Virtualmin Install on AlmaLinux 8.6 Has Been a Fiasco

I suspect this is just another symptom of misdetection of OS. Webmin doesn’t know where anything is if it detects the OS as something entirely different.

Okay, so the update that should be awaiting me when I pour my morning coffee may fix it.

Maybe next time I’ll go with Rocky.

Thanks, Joe.

Running dnf update: is 404. What should the correct url be?


Okay, this seems to be a two-step process to upgrade to Pro.

Step 1: Edit the virtualmin-noarch repo to

and start the upgrade. It will make it part way through, and then fail because it will rewrite the repo back the same way it was earlier. So edit it again, this time to

And re-run the upgrade. It should work the second time.

It also clears up the dnf error.


Updates won’t fix misdetection of OS. It’ll take a reinstall.

That sounds like a bug in the virtualmin release package. I’ll have to sort that out. I tested a pro install, I thought, but maybe I made repo changes in the intervening time. I’ll try to sort it out shortly.

I’m probably wasting my time, but I’m going to try a few less-drastic fixes. This is not yet a production server, and it’s been a while since I’ve done anything like this; so if nothing else, it will exercise my old brain. I’ll keep notes and maybe post a thread if if works.


This was 100% fixed. I have build locally Webmin 1.995 and it works as designed. It will require either clean reinstall to have it fixed or removing mentioned Webmin modules configs before running Webmin 1.995 upgrade (when released).

You are right - this needs fixing! Will do!

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere but just wanted to chime in that I am running Virtualmin 7.1 Pro (not beta) on Alma Linux 8.6 in production and without any issues. I of course used the route of installing Centos 8 minimal > Virtualmin > Alma linux conversion. Only issue I had since last year when I did this was the most recent virtualmin update caused webmin to stop (post successful update). Simply starting the process again solved that.

I considered doing it that way, but decided to give Rocky a try. I’m stomping some bugs (but many fewer) on the configuration as we speak.


Maybe this is old school, but the install script could ask the user to confirm the OS detected by the script.

No. We don’t need to ask more questions. It’s a simple (silly) bug. Detecting OS is a solved problem, we just screwed up.

1 Like

What’s funny is that it worked up until Webmin 1.991. Trying to get more precise is when it broke. :wink:

Maybe a coincidence? Possibly something changed with AlmaLinux. It’s the only OS that seems to be having a problem with it, no?

No, we definitely broke it. We understand the problem. It’s fixed in Webmin 1.995 (or whatever the next version is).

I did and I’m sorry about that.

i just install a new server with almalinux 8.6 and virtualmin

i have a problem with mysql
and change this
webmin - servers - mariadb
module config (gear)
system config
Command to start MySQL server : /usr/bin/systemctl start mariadb
Command to stop MySQL server : /usr/bin/systemctl stop mariadb

and also apache problem, change this
webmin - servers - apache
module config (gear)
system config
Command to start apache : systemctl start httpd
Command to stop apache : systemctl stop httpd
Command to apply configuration : systemctl reload httpd
Path to Apache PID file : /run/httpd/

now dashboard and server staus recognize apache up :slight_smile:

thank you

1 Like

Did you not read the thread you’re responding to?

Everything you’ve reported is exactly what has just been discussed above. These are known issues, they are expected, and the fix is to wait until we have a new Webmin in the repos (I thought the new one was coming yesterday, but Jamie still hasn’t pushed it, AFAIK).

yes sorry.
i read, but i change also other settings.
so i only share my setup…

thank you

1 Like

In case it wasn’t made clear earlier, when OS is misdetected, it breaks all kinds of things…subtle things, but things that will bite you for weeks or months to come. I think I have to recommend just waiting until Webmin update has rolled out and reinstall (or install on Rocky, which is detected correctly).

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.