virtualmin gpl to virtualmin pro fails

Just installed gpl version on centos, did it yesterday. Today I went to install the new key info, and get this

Upgrade to Virtualmin Pro

Creating Virtualmin license file …
… done

Failed to upgrade to Virtualmin Pro : No Virtualmin GPL repository was found in /etc/yum.repos.d/virtualmin.repo

Return to previous page

So, I go digging around, find another person with same problem! Good, use the fix. No joy, now it says:

Failed to upgrade to Virtualmin Pro : Virtualmin has been installed from an RPM, but not using the Virtualmin GPL repository. Upgrading is not possible at this time.

Help?

Post edited by: DaveOverton, at: 2009/05/30 09:41

MORE… Cause I can’t leave well enough alone.

Cleared ALL virtualmin stuff from the server. Using webmin, then yum, then just digging around. So, get the "custom" install.sh from the license page (no typing keys twice is a good thing) and away we go.

Error during the install, "-http://software.virtualmin.com/universal/wbm-virtual-server-3.69.gpl-1.noarch.rpm: [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found"

So, I go digging on the server, yep, its not there, and as a matter of fact, why should it be? Why am I trying to install the "GPL" version? But hey, stranger things have happened. There is an identical named file there, without the "gpl" part, bet thats what I want…

Help again?<br><br>Post edited by: DaveOverton, at: 2009/05/30 10:46

Hi Dave,

So, I’m slightly confused as to where you’re at right now.

Are you saying you’re working with a “fresh” system, for all intents and purposes? No Virtualmin/Webmin installed ATM?

If so, where did you grab your install.sh from?

You should be able to pull that down from http://www.virtualmin.com/serial/, and that would handle your Pro install.

Which version of CentOS are you using, 5.3?

And how much RAM does your system have (you can determine that with the "free" command)?

If that doesn’t work using the install.sh from the /serial/ page, what I might recommend is filing a bug report using the Bugs and Issues link below, and attaching the /root/virtualmin-install.log output.

That might help shed some light on why things aren’t quite working well for you.
-Eric

EDIT I wanted to add to this thread, since it contains very dangerous advice, and folks are finding it in the archives and acting on it. You should not follow this advice if you aren’t actually wanting to start over. It will break stuff and delete data. It is not intended as a general purpose process for upgrading from GPL to Professional (again, if you use the upgrade form within Virtualmin and it fails, file a ticket: it’s a bug and we’ll fix it or help work around it). Please don’t follow this advice unless you really want to start fresh (probably losing all data in Virtualmin).

So, the first error happens when Virtualmin is not installed using install.sh, but using RPMs. So, a manual installation using RPM packages, which is an odd choice (mostly because it’s really time consuming, and not a lot of folks have all the knowledge necessary to do it without a lot of reading and experimentation).

The fix is to setup the yum repository for Virtualmin GPL before upgrading to Professional.

But, since you’re just starting out, we like the idea of starting from scratch (where “starting from scratch” probably just means getting rid of the Virtualmin and Webmin packages, and any Virtualmin-related yum configuration, and running install.sh from the serial numbers page).

So, I go digging on the server, yep, its not there, and as a matter of fact, why should it be? Why am I trying to install the "GPL" version?

Because you missed something when cleaning up the old installation. :wink:

So, I’m going to rattle off some facts in no particular order, which I believe will make all things clearer:

1. install.sh is for installation only. It cannot upgrade from GPL to Professional. It cannot (without some manual tweaking) convert a manual installation from other sources into a "proper" installation. It cannot fix a broken installation. It is a dumb shell script that looks at the system, makes a ton of assumptions based on the bits of knowledge it has (OS, version, architecture), and then uses yum or apt-get to install the necessary packages. It only knows how to do useful things on a freshly installed OS. Anything else just confuses the poor thing.

2. Systems installed without install.sh are in a state that we cannot predict. You could have configured it in any of millions of possible permutations. Webmin/Virtualmin are smarter than the script, and are working with a bit more knowledge of the system (they know more than OS, version and architecture, anyway), but they still can’t deal with every possible permutation. It tries a little harder, but you probably have to help it along, if you did anything out of the ordinary.

3. yum is the key to everything. Installation, upgrades, and updates. So, the bit at the end where you’ve got GPL being installed instead of Professional…that’s because I guess you’ve added yum configuraton for the GPL repository, and that repo is being used instead of the Professional repo (it’s probably preventing setup of the Pro repo at all, since there’s already a virtualmin-release package installed).

4. We can fix this for you, at no cost. Just drop me an email and I’ll drop in and straighten things out for you.

If you wanted to fix it yourself, I would suggest the following:

Uninstall virtualmin-release (it’s probably where the bum yum repo configuration is coming from):

rpm -e virtualmin-release

Make sure it’s actually cleaned up:

rm /etc/yum.repos.d/virtualmin.repo

If you added yum configuration somewhere in one of your earlier steps, undo it. You don’t want a bunch of crud floating around in your yum configuration. Remember: yum is the key to everything.

And then, make sure you have the Virtualmin Professional install.sh with a valid key and serial number. Look inside install.sh for the SERIAL and KEY variables. You can use extended grep like so:

egrep "(KEY=|SERIAL=)" install.sh

(Note: Careful not to post any copypasta with license details in it to the forums.)

Just for fun, you could also run the uninstall option of the install.sh script.

/bin/sh install.sh --uninstall

Which will rip out all of the Virtualmin specific packages, making for a pretty close to fresh start.

If anything goes wrong, the offer stands for us dropping in and straightening things out for you (at the end of the install.sh run, if it fails, it’ll ask you to open a ticket and make this offer to you).

1. install.sh is for installation only. It cannot upgrade from GPL to Professional. It cannot (without some manual tweaking) convert a manual installation from other sources into a "proper" installation. It cannot fix a broken installation. It is a dumb shell script that looks at the system, makes a ton of assumptions based on the bits of knowledge it has (OS, version, architecture), and then uses yum or apt-get to install the necessary packages. It only knows how to do useful things on a freshly installed OS. Anything else just confuses the poor thing.
  1. Install Centos 5.3 from mirrors.kernel.org
  2. From http://www.webmin.com/vinstall.html get the install.sh (note, I don’t own Pro at this moment in time). Run it, webmin works just fine.
  3. Wait a day, then pay for it.
  4. Open virtualmin gpl, tell it my key info, click it. It fails, the first failure way up on top of this thread.

So, fool I am…

http://www.virtualmin.com/serial/ says "Or, copy and paste this command: wget -O install.sh http://software.virtualmin.com…" so I do.

Run this script. It leaves me where I am now.

Run install.sh --uninstall it says Done. There’s probably quite a bit of related packages and such left behind
but all of the Virtualmin-specific packages have been removed.

Run install.sh again, it says error 2 from above.

Noplace in here did it offer to do it for me :slight_smile:

Again, I started this by building a new server, centos 5.3 x64 type, then used the install.sh, then tried to use the tool you provided to the the gpl/pro conversion.

That was the very beginning thing that I did.

4. Open virtualmin gpl, tell it my key info, click it. It fails, the first failure way up on top of this thread.

Oh, now that’s not at all what I thought the sequence of events was. That’s a big old stinking bug in the upgrade process. No excuse for it. If you installed via install.sh, and then upgraded using the “Upgrade to Pro” link in Virtualmin GPL, it should have Just Worked…it should have worked flawlessly, quickly, and without a single error. When it didn’t, that would have been the time to file a bug in the bug tracker. :wink:

But, I’m certain this is all something simple and quick and easy to fix (but with all of our jibber jabbering in this thread I’m not at all sure it’s obvious to you or anyone else exactly what needs to be done to fix it). If you’d like to email me at joe@virtualmin.com, I’d be happy to drop in and fix whatever the heck is going wrong.

I will email on Monday, just not important enough to destroy all our weekends about :slight_smile: