Virtualmin GPL, sendmail, dovecot

Ok, I have Webmin/Virtualmin GPL installed on my Centos 5, and (probably since I’m a beginner in linux) I’m trying for the last 2 days to make my email work.

Sendmail stores stuff in /var/mail (/var/spool/mail) in files named username1, username2 and so on.

I tried adding in dovecot config
default_mail_env = mbox:/var/spool/mail/%u
but it didn’t help, what I’m getting when trying to retrieve mail via POP3 being :

Oct 23 05:26:38 mydomain dovecot: POP3(username1): open(/var/spool/mail/username1/inbox, O_CREAT) failed: Not a directory
Oct 23 05:26:38 mydomain dovecot: POP3(username1): mkdir_parents(/var/spool/mail/username1/.imap/INBOX) failed: Not a directory
Oct 23 05:26:38 mydomain dovecot: POP3(username1): Couldn’t open INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2007-10-23 05:26:38]
Oct 23 05:26:38 mydomain dovecot: POP3(username1): No INBOX for user top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0

Any idea about what I’m doing wrong here ?

That’s one. When trying to send mail, I get a
Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [x.x.x.x]
x.x.x.x is the IP from which I’m trying to connect, which does not reverse resolve (damn ISP). From what I understood, I can bypass that check by adding a SMTP Auth.

Any pointers how to set this up ? I have a service called saslauthd running.

Thank you for your patience with a noob :slight_smile:

Anyone ?

Still hoping :slight_smile:

Hi,
Quicky on the relay. You can add the IP directly in the Relay Domains module. I’m still trying to figure out how to get SMTP auth to work, it’s not a VM problem, it’s a sendmail issue.

For Dovecot, make sure you at least select something in the UIDL format of the mail files module. I use the “old dovecot,new Cyrus” selection. THen detect automatically for location, You shouldn’t need to change anything else in config.