Virtualmin for scientific linux 6.

It has been a couple of months since Joe said he was releasing support for SL6 and it was just arround the corner. Did he ask for directions from the Centos people?

Hey guys,

Just to chime in on this…SL6 for x86_64 is pretty much finished, though not well-tested…and it seems to deadlock during install on virtual machines for reasons I haven’t yet been able to figure out. Our website issues have been keeping me too occupied to track it down (we’re in the midst of a complete migration to all new infrastructure, including moving onto a multi-server configuration using the Cloudmin Services module for DNS and MySQL, so it is much more complicated than a simple migration). I’m sure everyone has noticed that the website currently sucks, in terms of performance; and the 500 errors remain a constant due to disk IO just being too high for our current disks (Drupal has some pathological SQL queries that I don’t know how to fix without breaking compatibility and upgradability, so we have to just throw a lot of hardware at the problem and hope for the best).

Anyway, to get back to the point, from before I started rambling…SL6 onn x86_64 systems will probably install fine today. But, because I haven’t tracked down numerous issues, and I haven’t finished the i386 build, I can’t call it supported. So, if you’re waiting, and you have a 64 bit system, and you don’t mind it possibly breaking, go ahead and give it a go. (As for reporting bugs, I already know about the freeze during installation of virtualmin-base; it seems to happen on virtual systems only, I think).

Hey Joe,

thanks for the feedback. I’ve a well running installation on a KVM based SL 6 x64 system. Did the installation the webmin -> VM way. Not the best way but I didn’t face any freezes or other stuff.

If you need access to the machine or if there’s anything else I could help with - feel free to contact me.

Kind regards.

Thanks, but we have a half dozen VMs and two dedicated servers running SL6 now, including both 32 and 64 bit. So, we have plenty of places to test. The problem isn’t lack of test machines as it is time to fix the problems revealed by testing. :wink:

But, YAPC wraps up in a few hours, and I’ll have a bit more free time to finish our migration to new servers and to get SL 6 support rolled out officially.

It’s been another month since you said it was just around the corner. SL6.1 is now released and no official support for either CentOS6 or SL6.

Scientific Linux 6 has been added to the Grade A supported operating systems list, and is expected to work correctly out of the box when using the Virtualmin install.sh install script.

Please let us know about any problems you run into in the ticket tracker.