Virtualmin File Manager extract changed and now it automatically create a new folder on top of every extract

Hello,

Virtualmin File Manager extract changed and now it automatically create a new folder on top of every extract.
It’s not a good move at all, please revert it back.

Thanks

I confirm that I have noticed this behaviour too, in the latest version of Webmin, when I uncompressed a zip file via the file manager.

1 Like

I just have time to check the source code and fix it myself.

go to /usr/share/webmin/authentic-theme/extensions/file-manager/extract.cgi

Commant out below line with # or just delete it

$ecwd = “$ecwd/$fname”;

The solution to the problem wouldn’t be editing source files manually but is to set Do not overwrite existing files upon option to No in File Manager ⇾ Preferences: Advanced options page.

Do you guys really expect files to be overwritten by default? I do not understand why? For me it sounds wrong as if we passed silently by default --force flag to rm or mv commands to overwrite files, which could lead to a data loss?

Perhaps, I should provide a small tour for users asking what do they want to have set by default, explaining how it can be changed or let them change it in-place? Ideally, we should always ask on the fly but this is more difficult to implement.

1 Like

Thanks for answering. It working great now by change the Advanced options.

I used webmin and Virtualmin for many years and I was very satisfied with the old default settings.

Okay, now I know what I will do – as we already have Do not overwrite existing files upon option in File Manager ⇾ Preferences, I will just add an extra option, among already existing Yes and No and call it Always Ask, which will trigger a modal window asking if the files should be overwritten. Also, it will be possible using this modal to save a default behavior without going to preferences. This once and for all will solve this problem.

I will update this ticket when this gets possible.

2 Likes

This has been implemented. It happened to be a very difficult task.

Authentic Theme 19.91-2 will make it possible for a user to choose if files must be overwritten or not before upcoming operations.

For operations without actual modal (like Extract) a user by default will have a confirmation modal displayed:

It is possible to keep this modal popping up every time or make it go away by checking Remember as future default checkbox. Although this would later be possible to change that on File Manager ⇾ Preferences: Advanced options page:

However, operations with a modal like, Create new archive, Extract with options, and Encrypt/Decrypt will have a checkbox inside of each modal:

Also, Upload to current directory modal will also have this option but it will reside under a dropdown:

But again, defaults can always be configured on File Manager ⇾ Preferences: Advanced options page.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.