Virtualmin Email help

Hey all ok am a noob to all this some one installed webmin and Virtualmin for me on my server and never saw them again

ok here is my problems
Email i cant for the life of me get it to work

Thunderbird and outlook just error all the time ive checked the settings on Virtualmin and they look ok (to me) could be all wrong

Would some one please help me out with this not had email working for the last 5 months :frowning:

Thanks alot
Mike

What error does Thunderbird give you?

Also, if you look in the mail log on the server, do you see any errors or other clues in there? The mail log is located in /var/log/mail.log or /var/log/maillog.

-Eric

Thank you for the reply

the log is here
http://pastebin.com/eqW8t3wC

just shows alot of spam tho half the emails on there ihave no idea whos they are

and thunderbird and outlook just will not let me read the mails or even Find my mail server

Thanks

Iā€™m not really seeing any errors in your output that would suggest a Postfix problem.

A lot of ISPā€™s these days block port 25ā€¦ it may be that your ISP is preventing you from connecting to the usual SMTP port. You may need to enable SMTPS and/or Submission, and connect on the alternate port.

My suggestion would be to go into /etc/postfix/master.cf, and uncomment the lines near the top that begin with ā€œsmtpsā€ and ā€œsubmissionā€. Then, restart Posfix, and try connecting changing your SMTP port from 25 to either 465 or 587 in Outlook/Thunderbird.

-Eric

Hey still no luck mate

tho thunderbird locks on to 587 SMTP but incoming jsut keeps trying over and over again

Edit jsut seen on ā€œVirtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)ā€ tab this

Available features Mail for domain, BIND DNS domain, Apache website, Webalizer reporting, Log file rotation, MySQL database, Webmin login
Disabled features SSL website, PostgreSQL database, ProFTPd virtual FTP, Spam filtering, Virus filtering
Disk quotas Not active on home directories filesystem.
Mail server Sendmail

Sendmail?

Okay, so incoming email isnā€™t working? What do you have Outlook/Thunderbird setup to use, IMAP or POP?

Also, you can check that IMAP is running by typing this command:

netstat -an | grep :143

And you can verify that POP is running with this:

netstat -an | grep :110

Iā€™m not sure what to make of that ā€œSendmailā€ youā€™re seeing above, though what you use to retrieve email is actually not related to Sendmail or Postfix, itā€™s a daemon called Dovecot.

What distro are you using? And how did you install Virtualmin, did you use the install.sh script?

-Eric

I didnt install it mate someone did it for me
Do you have msn if you have some time to chat
i will send you some paypal when i next get some for helping as am realy stuck and dont want to make things worse than they are

Mike

edit them two commands do nothing in putty mate

Howdy,

If you donā€™t see anything in Putty when you execute those commands, it may mean that Dovecot isnā€™t running.

You can launch Dovecot by running this command:

/etc/init.d/dovecot start

If youā€™re looking to pay someone to look into server issues, you can always post a comment in the ā€œJobsā€ forum ā€“ thereā€™s a number of folks available to assist on things like that.

-Eric

-bash: /etc/init.d/dovecot: No such file or directory

and thanks for the info on the ā€œjobsā€ bit

It sounds like you may be missing some of the dependencies for a fully functional web/email serverā€¦ itā€™s possible that whoever performed your install didnā€™t use the install.sh script, but instead just installed the Virtualmin module.

If thatā€™s the case, youā€™d have to perform all configuration manually ā€“ which definitely is the hard way :slight_smile:

If possible, you might consider starting over and performing an installation with the install.sh script, but you only want to do that if you donā€™t have any live domains on your server.

-Eric

Hi i dont think i would be able to do it myself its not my strong point

and i do run about 11 websites of my server :X