VirtualMin / Centos 7.2 Not ready for prime time.

For 2 days I have tried to install VirtualMin and VirtualMin Pro on fresh installs of Centos 7.2 in my VPS’ with less than stellar results. The installation is buggy, and important features do not work. Clamd will not run because of some socket problem. Mysql installation fails and requires troubleshooting and configuration outside of the installation scriipt to get that to work, and phpmyadmin will not install because it requires Ver5.5 and Centos7.2 only has 5.4.

I attempted installation on both Centos 7.2 Minimal, and Centos 7.2 Base, with the same results.

I had hoped Virtualmin would run ‘out of the box’, but it does not. Maybe it installs and runs correctly on Centos 6, but my servers run on Centos 7 and I prefer not to backlevel them.

My servers are dual cpu, 2 gigs ram, and 45 gigs of disk.

Sticking with IspConfig seems to be a better solution

Clamd will not run because of some socket problem.

There is still ongoing problem with Vmin and clamd on Centos 7. They said it will be fixed with next Vmin release but in mean time you can do next:

1. Manually start clamd: “systemctl start clamd@scan”
  2. To enable clamd to start after server reboot: Wmin - Bootup and Shutdown and enable “Start at boot time?” in “clamd@scan.service”

Mysql installation fails and requires troubleshooting and configuration outside of the installation scriipt to get that to work

Several reports about similar thing and all have in common that MySQL password was set before Vmin installation but it should work on clean OS install. Same as with Clamd it should be fixed with next Vmin release.

phpmyadmin will not install because it requires Ver5.5 and Centos7.2 only has 5.4

You must select stable version 4.4.15.x and not latest 4.6.x. Other version should not show up on Centos 7 and i already reported this bug what was fixed at one point but now i see its back.

I attempted installation on both Centos 7.2 Minimal, and Centos 7.2 Base, with the same results.

With 2GB ram i would say go for Base (e.g. full) as you will have less problems or things to sort before and after Vmin installation.

Maybe you could try one more time to install Vmin and see if any of this suggestions helps you out.

“Several reports about similar thing and all have in common that MySQL password was set before Vmin installation but it should work on clean OS install. Same as with Clamd it should be fixed with next Vmin release.”

I checked on this mysql problem and thats not possible because the base install does not include mysql or mariadb. The virtualmin install.sh does the mysql install, so no password was set beforehand.

phpmyadmin did work after I selected the correct version, so that was my error.

1. To enable clamd to start after server reboot: Wmin - Bootup and Shutdown and enable “Start at boot time?” in “clamd@scan.service”
    This does not work. The error message is: Failed to start clamd@.service: Unit name clamd@.service is not valid.

Bill

Did you try to install Centos 7 full version and they test Vmin? Just to know the problem with ClamAV could be still present but my advice should work. I know i tested Vmin on Centos 7 minimal and i had so many problems right after the install that i decided to drop everything and rebuild the server with full version of Centos.

Yes, I tried it on Centos 7.2 full install, but note that clamd is not an available package with Centos 7.2. It does have clamav though and that is installed.

Then you should start looking at log files and eventually post it here. Even better i would start looking at Vmin install log file and see if something wrong happened during the installation.

The only error in the log files is: The server virus scanner cannot be selected unless the clamd virus scanning server is running

Instructions for fixing the clamd service on Centos 7 is at https://linux-audit.com/install-clamav-on-centos-7-using-freshclam/
I tried this and it worked on my system.

proFTPD is another service that won’t run out of the box. To fix it, I did yum remove proFTPD, then yum install proFTPD*

Do you have any third party yum repositories enabled?

The last time I ran a test on CentOS, it worked well (ClamAV does have a known issue at the moment, which requires a manual restart, but none of the other stuff were problems I ran into). I’ll run another test install shortly, to see if I can reproduce the problems you’re seeing; just want to make sure we’re talking about a stock CentOS 7 system.

You can check that by looking in /etc/yum.repos.d; if you could post the files in that directory here, it’d be helpful.

Here is the repo list you asked for.

[root@water yum.repos.d]# ll
total 40
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1664 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-Base.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1309 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-CR.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 649 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-Debuginfo.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 290 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-fasttrack.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 630 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-Media.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1331 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-Sources.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1952 Dec 9 2015 CentOS-Vault.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 957 Jun 3 09:52 epel.repo

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 1056 Jun 3 09:52 epel-testing.repo

-rwsr-s— 1 root root 453 Jul 8 10:25 virtualmin.repo

Hm, you have EPEL there. This repo should be used only to install things like fail2ban and it should be turned off by default. In case you had this repo enabled before Vmin install or before/after Vmin install you pulled updates from EPEL it could be the reason you have so many problems.

Personally i’m using this repo only to install fail2ban and pull updates for the same software but its turned off by default. Last year when i was testing Vmin this repo crashed my server beyond repair because i was so tired i forgot to turn it off. What happened is during the update many things got updated from EPEL and that ended in disaster.

Yes, I loaded epel-release. So maybe thats the problem I suppose I should wipe my server then and start over.

I reloaded the Centos 7 IS0, installed wget, then installed VirtualMin Pro. The first error encountered was the clamd setup with the error “ERROR: Could not lookup : Servname not supported for ai_socktype”

The second error occurred when setting the mysql password: “DBI connect failed : Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)”
This error can be fixed by opening another copy of virtualmin in a second window, selecting Servers->Mysql and setting the root password there.

No other errors occurred with the post installation script.

epel was not loaded for the installation.

Hi, Is there a step by step set of instructions to get clam AV working properly on Centos 7.2 vis a fresh install? I’m a bit of a novice but I can get in via ssh and navigate around, make changes etc. I can’t seem to find anything that thoroughly covers the necessary changes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Is it still not working in a fresh install? 5.04 was expected to fix that problem. If it still exists I’ll need to do some test installs and figure out how it’s still going wrong.

Edit: And the process to fix it manually, if it is still a problem is the same as always:

# systemctl start clamd@scan
# systemctl enable clamd@scan

I’m pretty sure Virtualmin will pick this up once it’s running. At least, it did on my systems.

I am using an Openlogic Centos 7.2 VM on Azure. I got the message “Servname not supported for ai_socktype” when first setting up. What do I actually do step by step to fix this so it runs properly even after reboot? Just those commands and nothing else? Is there a way to test if it is running and working without actually sending an email? The server is not yet set up with any real domains to do any testing.

Thank you

Howdy,

Doing some Googling, one possible cause of that issue is lack of resources (RAM in particular).

What is the output of this command:

free -m

Also, where in the setup process are you seeing that particular error?

-Eric

It’s not a resource problem.

total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 14024 643 12591 31 789 13077
Swap: 0 0 0

The setup works fine. The error is in the install wizard when it gives me clam options. Choosing clamd gives the error.

Okay, and what’s the output of this command:

rpm -qa | grep clam*

Output:

rpm -qa | grep clam*

clamav-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.x86_64
clamav-server-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.x86_64
clamav-filesystem-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.noarch
clamav-lib-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.x86_64
clamav-update-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.x86_64
clamav-server-systemd-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.noarch
clamav-scanner-systemd-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.noarch
clamav-data-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.noarch
clamav-scanner-0.99.2-3.el7.centos.vm.noarch

When choosing in the Wizard from “Run ClamAV server scanner?” - “Yes (more RAM used, faster mail processing - approximately 100M)”

it returns:

A problem occurred testing the ClamAV server scanner :
ERROR: Could not lookup : Servname not supported for ai_socktype

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Infected files: 0
Time: 0.002 sec (0 m 0 s)

Thank you!