Virtualmin broken modules disabled and recheck config fails

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Almalinux
Webmin version Current stable
Virtualmin version Current stable
Related packages All have been disabled for no reason system destroyed user accounts

This is an ongoing issue and this software can not be trusted to be in a production environment because one day I returned to find my server completely inoperable.

There was no reason for this to happen it errors about the user and then wants to reconfigure the entire server.

It initially errors about it trying to disable the administration module.
Further errors in logs reveal that the user accounts no longer exist yet strangely they do.

I will be moving all client server back to cPanel as a result and this software will be embargoed until this issue is resolved as it has been happening since your latest ploys to force people to use to paid version.

This is a limewire stunt and shame on you for doing such.

This is an ongoing issue and this software can not be trusted to be in a production environment because one day I returned to find my server completely inoperable.

If you want help resolving your issue, then that sort of statement isn’t the way to start. You can of course move everything back to cPanel, or you could post some more information about your issue and see if the group can help you resolve it.

For the avoidance of any doubt, we have been running Virtualmin on clusters in production environments since 2005. It is reliable, scaleable and highly flexible, all of which set it apart from cPanel or other competitors.

3 Likes

This kind of post is common on other boards. ‘Loudest squeaky wheel’ theory. Yeah. We understand you are pissed but most on this forum aren’t paid to take crap.

OP. Deep breath. You seem to be using the free version? Company my former partner had our stuff with switched off cPanel because Plesk bought them and is trying to force people off it with price increases. It is actually considered ‘legacy’. They moved us to Webuzo. Friggin nightmare. I decided to move my stuff. I’ll move my former partners stuff if he wishes. I’m still learning and configuring before I touch his client accounts.

Let me guess, you are using the free version and getting annoyed when it asks you join others who pay to support Virtualmin.
So, you come up with frivolous claims with no actions to back you up.
But yet you will go back to pay for your overrated cpanel.

No, Shame on you

If you spent half the amount of time telling us what versions you ACTUALLY HAVE that you do hurling insults you’d get a lot more help.

1 Like

Maybe we need to go through the code and find the remote kill switch before we all die in a fire?

OP. I think we all sympathize with you but your experience seems to be an outlier here. Do you have any evidence this was a Virtualmin code failure?

I don’t understand why you’re even posting. Do you want our blessing to return to cPanel? You have it. Best of luck to you.

That you’ve never mentioned before this post. This is, in fact, your only post ever about it.

I can’t make any sense of the problem(s) you’re having. We don’t do anything that forces people to use the paid version, and never have.

The paid version provides a few additional features and private priority support. There are no time limits, no booby traps that would hide users. Again, I have no clue WTF you’re talking about.

If you’re demanding we give you those additional features and private priority support, then the answer is no. We already give away 90+% of the product, if that is not enough for you, we wish you the best with cPanel.

Anyway, I find you rude, and have no desire to have you as part of our community.

3 Likes

There is no fucking remote kill switch. jfc. We’ve been making free software for more than two decades. If money were our primary motivation we would not be doing that, because it’s a stupid business decision.

I don’t. OP is an ass who is welcome to take a hike.

If their first thought when they have any problem is that we’re intentionally breaking their system to try to blackmail them for a few bucks, then we’re never going to be in a position to have a good faith conversation.

If you can look at what we do, how much we do for free, how we do it (in the open! there is a github for everything!), and for how long we’ve been doing it, and think, “These guys are running a scam.” Then I can’t help, and won’t try.

1 Like

Yeah. That was tongue in cheek based on what the OP said.

1 Like

I only resurrected this thread because the OP flamed and went missing. And to be honest, was wondering if they solved their problem and if it was WM/VM. Could have been a disk error for all we know.

I only resurrected this thread because the OP flamed and went missing. And to be honest, was wondering if they solved their problem and if it was WM/VM. Could have been a disk error for all we know.

I can pretty much guarantee it wasn’t Virtualmin, which despite its elegance and functionality is just a configuration tool on top of linux. We’ll never know the full story and tbh I don’t care, but its more likely to be either a hack because the numpty put his unsecured server on the dirty side of the internet (or behind a residential grade router), or its a noob forking about with config files thinking he knows what he’s doing. It only takes one misplaced > to break apache and probably upset virtualmin too.

I also note that Joe is having a bad day :laughing:

My patience with people who attack us for giving away decades of our work for free is extremely short.

2 Likes

As well it should be. Frankly, I don’t know how you don’t snap far worse far more often. I read that marathon back and forth of 50 replies the other day wondering how the hell you were still in there trying.

I would have thrown in the towel around attempt 20.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.