Virtualmin AWS EC2 on Ubuntu 20.04 (Netplan) IPs lost

Hello,

I have a VPC, where I can assign IPs to an EC2 instance where I can create multiple virtual servers on a single EC2 instance. However, since Ubuntu 18.04, and now Ubuntu 20.04, this seems to no longer be possible.

Here is how I used to do this before Ubuntu LTS 18.04 and 20.04.

• With afresh install of virtualmin and after running the post-install wizard, I go to the AWS console, I can manage private IPs for the EC2 instance, from here I can create multiple private IPs as needed (depending on instance size).
  • I then assign EIPs for each private IP from the step above. So that each virtual server will have its own IP.
  • With a fresh install of Virtualmin on Ubuntu 18.04 and even 20.04, when I create more than one virtual server all seems fine at first, but if I reboot the insteance, IPs mappings get lost (Netplan/Network Interface) and all sites become unreachable.

I know that this has been brought up before, but I am unable to get a straight answer on what is happening and how to address. I am either missing something or noboby else does this type of setup? For context I have over 30 EC2 instances running Virtualmin on Ubuntu 16.04 with multiple IPs on each that use the same steps above, only difference is Netplan. Before Netplan, this was never a problem and the network interface retained its mappings after reboots.

I love Virtualmin for its accessibility, regardless of where I am, but I am not sure if I am missing a key part here. Are there any additional steps required to work with Netplan and Virtualmin/Webmin to map private IPs and retain them? What are other people doing that might be on a cloud based system and using multiple IPs for a single instance w/ Virtualmin/Webmin?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have double checked it for you and it doesn’t appear as an issue on my side, running latest Webmin 1.954 and Virtualmin 6.11 - newly created virtual IP records are saved upon reboot, and displayed as expected after reboot, when ip a command is run.

The issue may originate from post-init scripts setup by your ISP. Take a look at network config files, (defaults to /etc/netplan on Ubuntu 18 and 20), usually on the comments you can find more details about what’s going on, if not, please address this question to your ISP for getting an exact answer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.