virtualmin and mail server...

i’ve just installed virtualmin gpl on ubuntu 8.04 using script install.sh.
Everything seem fine, i create email account but when i try to setup my email client, i get this message:
“you cannont log in to mail.mytalke.com because the server has disabled login. you may nedd to connect via SSL or TLS. etc…”
what have i to do?
thanks

neorf

Now this is ok, it was error about plain text authentication on devcot.
now i’ve other problem:
“The STAT command did not succeeded. ERror gettin message numbere and sizes… mail server mail.mytalke.com respondend: couldn’t open INBOX: internal error occurred…”

thanks 4 help…

neorf

Howdy,

Do you see any errors in the email log, /var/log/mail.log? It generally lists the full details of whatever the issue is.
-Eric

i think this is the error, permission deniend, and how can i fix it?
thenk inside dovecot.conf this is the mail_location configuration:
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/lib/dovecot/index/%u:CONTROL=/var/lib/dovecot/control/%u

Here attached the mail.log:
May 7 15:23:18 stock dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<info.mytalke>, method=PLAIN, rip=87.12.246.254, lip=94.23.46.169
May 7 15:23:18 stock dovecot: POP3(info.mytalke): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/index/info.mytalke/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
May 7 15:23:18 stock dovecot: POP3(info.mytalke): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/control/info.mytalke/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
May 7 15:23:18 stock dovecot: POP3(info.mytalke): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/index/info.mytalke/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
May 7 15:23:18 stock dovecot: POP3(info.mytalke): mkdir(/var/lib/dovecot/control/info.mytalke/.INBOX) failed: Permission denied
May 7 15:23:19 stock dovecot: POP3(info.mytalke): Couldn’t open INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.

Okay, try running this command:

[code:1]
chmod 777 /var/lib/dovecot /var/lib/dovecot/control /var/lib/dovecot/index
[/code:1]

And then try restarting Dovecot (/etc/init.d/dovecot restart), and see if that does the trick for you.
-Eric

I think we’re correcting this in Virtualmin 3.69 by moving those files out to /var/lib/virtualmin-dovecot. This proved to be an issue on recent CentOS Dovecot packages, as well.

ok, now it’s working, thanks a lot :smiley:
I’ve still to try sending email via server, do you think i get some errors?
thanks

neorf

The best thing you could do, I think, is to try sending an email, and if it doesn’t work, take a look in the email log – /var/log/mail.log.

It appears that we solved the issue with Dovecot, so if you happen to get any errors in sending emails, it’s an unrelated issue :slight_smile:
-Eric