Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11

calport is right, Matomo differs from AWstats, as it works like Google Analytics (you have to include it in your website code), while AWstats just processes log files. Very different approach. I think they each have its place and are not interchangeable.

2 Likes

Hello,
I was wondering, seeing above discussions about Virtualmin 7 being officially available … where is the right place to have that information officially ? Seems that webmin.com is not, but at this time it’s the only place I found where it is announced …
Pierre

YUP there you need your Privacy Rules while GDRP compliance!
Much not allowed without Visitor agrement!

1 Like

i dont see anyone able to say matomo to replace awstats… simple. matomo make your server even slow not to mention palava to integrating with in website… - what a bad question was that…

@Joe please do not include matomo in source code - if you have to remove other palava like awstats and leave it alone. - thanks.

The Virtualmin News forum. When Webmin.com mentions Virtualmin, it is about the virtual-server Webmin module, which is the most important, but not only, module in a Virtualmin system.

Because the 7.0 virtual-server module has been tagged and released on Webmin.com (though we had some problems with the new Webmin download server, so the module wasn’t even available via those links). But, Virtualmin is a whole pile of packages and an installer…virtual-server module is just one of the pieces.

Webmin.com is not “unofficial”, it’s just talking about something different. Webmin.com is years overdue for an overhaul, but we just don’t have a lot of time for it. If you only use Virtualmin, you can only read the news forum here at forum.virtualmin.com, and have all the information you need. We post about every Webmin/Usermin update that rolls into our repos (and you should not be using the webmin.com repos for a Virtualmin system), as well as all virtual-server and other major module and installer updates.

Virtualmin 7 is a new version of the installer, new repositories, new distro/version support, and new sets of dependencies. virtual-server module is actually a tiny part of what makes a new major major version of the whole system.

1 Like

Sorry I brought up matomo. It’s off-topic for this thread (which has gone off-topic in multiple directions now).

Ok so I’ll wait for that announcement in “News” :slight_smile:

oh me too… purchased specially dedicated machine for proxmox and virtualmin for version 7 with 3 times 6tb disks… each disk will be used differently but finally I would be able to do video tutorials how to on side server of virtualmin :slight_smile: - I cannot wait!

1 Like

I never faced a Virtualmin upgrade (like from v5 to the current v6) and I have a question. Like I said in original post and a few time again in the following discussion I badly need to rent new servers, and up to now my preference was to wait for Debian 11 + V7 but this seems to take much more time than I thought so I am almost ready to order Ubuntu 20.04 servers (I already have a few) and install v6 of Virtualmin.

Question: can we expect some kind of upgrade path from v6 to v7 on grade A systems or the recommendation will be to install v7 on a freshly installed server ? meaning, will I be able to upgrade my Ubuntu 20.04 to v7 ?

Hello it is not very clear to me : is it possible to install virtualmin on Debian 11?
Still should I stick to the Debian 10 ?

Stick with Debian 10 until Virtualmin 7 is announced on the virtualmin.com website.

personal 2cents, yes.

@calport, @new-bee
matomo runs fine with log-analytics script provided (https://matomo.org/guide/tracking-data/import-server-logs/) that processes log files… no javascript needed…
been running it for supported sites on virtualmin-gpl server for years… no problem/javascript involved. no bloat/load on server.
and there are other foss stats/analytics alternatives too, but maybe OT .

Thanks for the tip, @dimitrist and good to know that this can be done and is being done.

If it were up to me I wouldn’t continue with Webalizer in VM7. It is a relic of the past, it has not been updated for almost 9 years. I never used it in my installation and I deactivated as a feature. Instead I would keep AWstats because it analyzes raw logs and it has a better friendly interface. Google Analytics doesn’t always track visits, so I have to analyze both with GA and AW. This is because more and more browsers use extensions to disable code in pages, browse with Tor and much more.

Regarding Motomo, I did not find that it slows down the server. Just install Ntopng and see the difference. If it can be offered to Virtualmin GPL as an installation script I don’t see any issue and I thank for that. I installed it manually in WP and Magento 1&2 according to the instructions and it seemed extremely simple to do by a novice. Only if you have static pages then a problem arises but with a command in Linux you can insert the code where you want (who still uses static websites in 2022?). Motomo is an solid alternative to GA and a mature product in my opinion even for the free version. The big advantage is your data are stored on your server not at Google, also is GDPS compliant.

I hope VM7 will be available this summer for Debian 11. I am not hurry anyone and I wish the team to do a great job.

1 Like

I totaly agree with that. If by any chances Webalizer was the only blocking problem … just feel free to take it out of the way :slight_smile:

1+ for keeping awstats. I use them a lot specially when I follow attacks on my server for end point nodes to block them manually.

Hi Joe

Which is the correct entries for sources list (Debian 11) now when Virtualmin 7 is out

//Johan

Virtualmin 7 is not out. Just the virtual-server version 7.0 has been released (and it is in the old repos, and the Virtualmin 6 repos). The new VM7 repos will be working this weekend.

1 Like

From the release notes of virtual-server module 7.0:

NOTE This is not the Virtualmin 7 installer. Don’t expect this to mean installation on any new distros is supported. The Virtualmin 6 installer is still the current version and the OS support list on the website is still the correct list of supported OSes. The new installer will arrive shortly, once I’ve finished getting the new repos working and tested.

2 Likes