Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11

Hello,

I don’t want to be pushy at all, I’m just wondering if progress has been made and if you have some kind of ETA for both Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11 (as I understand after reading all threads about this they will be released together) … I have to order new machines and I’m wondering if I should wait (it’s just 2 weeks ago) or go ahead (it’s more like 2 months ago) …
I know it’s a difficult question, if you have no idea at all I’ll manage anyway, no worry, if you have an idea and you can share, I’ll be grateful.
Thanks,
Pierre

+1, just to get pinged of any replies.

Hello @Pierrot and @fakemoth :slight_smile: Two questions for you below

This Sep 18th update from Virtualmin staff might be of interest at When will Debian 11 be supported? - #2 by Joe

The good news is they are planning to support Debian 11. But they will not pre-announce a date for Debian 11 support. I agree with their choice. As it was repeatedly was successful in the past.

Same here. I’m looking forward to Debian 11 support, though. Speaking for myself only, as volunteer, to contribute to potentially speed up this goal, I’m happy to offer testing and documentation. If any are both needed & expressed.

EDIT BELOW :

Question 1: How about you? Are you interested to contribute volunteer services toward potentially speed up reaching this goal?

Question 2: If yes, what are you interested to contribute?

1 Like

Hello,
As I said I read all of the threads concerning this matter including this one, thanks for the cross-referencing it might be useful to some people.
Pierre.

@Pierrot :slight_smile: I agree with their choice to not pre-announce a date for Debian 11 support. As their choice was repeatedly successful.

Same here. I’m looking forward to Debian 11 support, though. As you know, speaking for myself only, as volunteer, to contribute to potentially speed up this goal, I’m happy to offer testing and documentation. If any are both needed & expressed.

Question 1: How about you? Are you interested to contribute volunteer services toward potentially speed up reaching this goal?

Question 2: If yes, what are you interested to contribute?

If you are both interested and available, you’re welcome to either subscribe or join the efforts with any of those related tickets:

1. Invitation Contributing to Authentic Theme Support for Debian 11

2. Invitation Contributing to Webmin Support for Debian 11

3. Invitation Contributing to Virtualmin GPL Support for Debian

+1, just to get pinged of any replies.
Thanks, Eric

Debian 11 support has been added to install script 7.0.0-beta5 on our upstream repos.

Those who is interested in running tests could do it right now.

DISCLAIMER: This is only meant for testing purposes. Installing it on production system may work thought but not yet recommended.

How to install Virtualmin 6 on Debian 11 for testing purposes:

1. Get latest virtualmin-install.sh script first
  2. Then replace line 22 from vm_version=7 vm_version=6
  3. Also replace line 722 from:
    repos="virtualmin-bullseye virtualmin-universal"

repos="virtualmin-buster virtualmin-universal"
  4. Install Webalizer package manually from Debian testing repos, as currently it is not in stable repos yet, and will only be added to stable repos later, which is happening soon, however for now, you would need to:
    4.1. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list file and add at the end of it:
           deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing non-free contrib main
    4.2 Run apt-get update && apt-get install webalizer/testing
    4.3 Edit source list file again and remove/comment-out previously added testing repo link
  5. Install Virtualmin 6 by running:
    sh virtualmin-install.sh

6. Start Webmin manually by running:
    /etc/webmin/start

Those who is interested in giving it a try, please do and share your experience!

4 Likes

To add to what Ilia said: If you aren’t technically very proficient, please don’t try to install on an unsupported distro and use it in production. If you just want to use Virtualmin, install it on a supported OS.

Dev versions of the installer should only be tackled by people who want to help develop…you should be comfortable filing (good) issues on github, poking around in shell scripts, dealing with dependency issues in your package manager, troubleshooting why something failed so you can post your solution rather than your questions (don’t ask for support with an unsupported distro in the forums or otherwise…unsupported means unsupported!). Not trying to discourage people from giving it a try, but also please be cognizant of the fact that any time we spend supporting folks with questions about Debian 11 is time we can’t spend on finishing the installer. If you find bugs and fix/report them, we’re happy. If you just ask us to help you solve problems as though it were finished, you’re taking time away from the work.

Also be aware that there are a least two or three pretty major changes happening in the installer (different packages and some config changes)…so you’re going to have a half-6-half-7 hybrid installation. We can’t support that properly, either, even once everything is done. Plan to reinstall when version 7 comes out. Debian 11 will never be supported on a Virtualmin 6 installation, and the installer today is mostly still a Virtualmin 6 installation (with a few minor changes)…so you’re getting a unsupportable installation. If you’re technical, go nuts. If you just want to be a Virtualmin user, pick a supported OS or wait until Virtualmin 7 is announced.

Also, please stop asking when it’s coming. We are not going to pre-announce, because it’s always wrong when we do.

1 Like

Hello,

I have been considering my answer for a few days … I am not sure I can be of any help, although I am quite used at managing project and developping stuff, I don’t think that I would be useful to the project and to people doing that all day long, I’m pretty sure the time they would spend explaining would be much more useful if spent developing themselves … the complexity of such project requires (my humble opinion) fully dedicated people, not amateurs like me (in that area of software development).

However, I also think that using open-source software comes at a price and I always feel bad not contributing, so if this can be of any help to people testing and developing Debian 11 support and Virtualmin 7, I can provide the community with a test machine with Debian 11, machine that can be wiped out and reinstalled at any time, until the final release of Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11 support. At this time I will take it back and reinstall it for my own usage with D11 et V7 of course … This offer is of course also valid for the Virtualmin Staff, if you happen to need an additional virgin machine for testing purposes, let me know. As I said in my original post, I need a new machine but at the same time I want it with D11 so I can rent it right away and let you use it until the final release.
Pierre.

2 Likes

hi, I’m going to setup this in proxmox so I can test this many times as I need, will record each session on video but also terminal sessions with script play and will share if anything pops up. sadly I’m outside of UK at the moment till January so I guess I will test it later then.

I setup a new Debian 11 vm and followed your install guide for a VM6 install. At this stage all looks good apart from proftpd. It wouldn’t start and gave the following message.
● proftpd.service - ProFTPD FTP Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proftpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-12-28 14:32:29 AEDT; 4min 37s ago
Process: 85938 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/proftpd --configtest -c $CONFIG_FILE (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 6ms

Dec 28 14:32:29 mail systemd[1]: Starting ProFTPD FTP Server…
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail proftpd[85938]: Checking syntax of configuration file
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail proftpd[85938]: 2021-12-28 14:32:29,065 mail proftpd[85938]: mod_dso/0.5: unable to load ‘mod_tls.c’; check to see if ‘/usr/lib/proftpd/mod_tls.la’ exists
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail proftpd[85938]: 2021-12-28 14:32:29,065 mail proftpd[85938]: fatal: LoadModule: error loading module ‘mod_tls.c’: No such file or directory on line 5 of ‘/etc/proftpd/conf.d/virtualmin.conf’
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail proftpd[85938]: 2021-12-28 14:32:29,065 mail proftpd[85938]: error: unable to open parse file ‘/etc/proftpd/conf.d/virtualmin.conf’: Operation not permitted
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail proftpd[85938]: 2021-12-28 14:32:29,065 mail proftpd[85938]: fatal: unknown configuration directive ‘TLSEngine’ on line 210 of ‘/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf’
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail systemd[1]: proftpd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail systemd[1]: proftpd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Dec 28 14:32:29 mail systemd[1]: Failed to start ProFTPD FTP Server.

mod_tls.la is missing.
An apt search gave me proftpd-mod-crypto. I installed it and it started.

After trying VM6 I tried VM7 using the installer VER=7.0.0-beta5.
It failed when trying to download RPM-GPG-virtualmin-7.
https://software.virtualmin.com/lib/RPM-GPG-virtualmin-7: ERROR 404.
virtualmin-install.log (7.6 KB)

Thanks! This helps. We will add it on the stack.

It failed when trying to download RPM-GPG-virtualmin-7.

All correct. We don’t have Virtualmin 7 repos yet for public.

OK. I thought you were inviting people to try VM7

We definitely are not inviting people to try VM7. There is no public VM7, yet. We aren’t discouraging people from trying the sort of half-6-half-7 situation, but we’re not encouraging it, either. That’s what Ilia’s note about changing vm_version=7vm_version=6 was about. It’s the only way an installation will work, right now.

See, we’re not encouraging: Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11 - #8 by Joe

1 Like

Ok, I misunderstood. I thought there were 2 separate activities.

Got an error installing:

▣▣□ Phase 2 of 3: Installation
Installing Webmin                                                       [ERROR] Failed with error: 100
[  ✘  ]

[ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[ERROR] The last few log entries were:
Se utilizarán 0 B de espacio de disco adicional después de esta operación.
Configurando proftpd-core (1.3.7a+dfsg-12+deb11u2) ...
usermod: sin cambios
Synchronizing state of proftpd.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable proftpd
Job for proftpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status proftpd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
dpkg: error al procesar el paquete proftpd-core (--configure):
 el subproceso instalado paquete proftpd-core script post-installation devolvió el código de salida de error 1
Se encontraron errores al procesar:
 proftpd-core
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Installing Webmin: [2022-01-10 09:34:12 CET] [ERROR] Failed with error: 100
[2022-01-10 09:34:12 CET] [ERROR] Something went wrong. Exiting.
[2022-01-10 09:34:12 CET] [ERROR] The last few log entries were:
alfonso@cayuela:~$ sudo systemctl status proftpd.service
● proftpd.service - ProFTPD FTP Server
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/proftpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2022-01-10 09:34:11 CET; 1min 56s ago
    Process: 438457 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/proftpd --configtest -c $CONFIG_FILE (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 12ms

ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu systemd[1]: Starting ProFTPD FTP Server...
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: Checking syntax of configuration file
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: 2022-01-10 09:34:11,418 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: mod_dso/0.5: unable>
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: 2022-01-10 09:34:11,418 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: fatal: LoadModule: >
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: 2022-01-10 09:34:11,418 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: warning: unable to >
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: 2022-01-10 09:34:11,419 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: mod_dso/0.5: unable>
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: 2022-01-10 09:34:11,419 vmin.cayuela.eu proftpd[438457]: fatal: LoadModule: >
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu systemd[1]: proftpd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu systemd[1]: proftpd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
ene 10 09:34:11 vmin.cayuela.eu systemd[1]: Failed to start ProFTPD FTP Server.

Related to TLS module.
Edit:
Solved executing:

apt install proftpd-mod-crypto
1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. We’ve added this package to the stack.

1 Like

I am testing Virtualmin with Debian 11 based on Ilia’s instructions.

@Ilia - in step 4.1 there is a typo. It should be /etc/apt/sources.list not /etc/apt/source.list.

• No issues found in installation everything was smooth.

• After the installation the webmin service doesn’t start automatically. I did now want to start it manually and I prefered to reboot and it started.

• Indeed Proftpd services failed to start and it needed the proftpd-mod-crypto package to run. The latest installation script did not installed for me (7.0.0-beta5).

Thanks, fixed. However, I am frustrated that the very latest Debian 11 installation (installed today) doesn’t have webalizer package available in default repo but only in testing. @Joe should we work-around the problem?

1 Like