Virtualmin 6 beta available for testing

Just downloaded and ran the beta on a fresh Debian 8 x86_64 minimum install OpenVZ VPS. Installer ran smoothly except for the following.

Installer had this error. ntpdate failing is normal due to OpenVZ. I’m not sure if the other error is due to it or unrelated.

30 Jun 22:47:17 ntpdate[27371]: Can’t adjust the time of day: Operation not permitted
Undefined subroutine &Virtualmin::Config::LAMP::has_command called at /usr/share/perl5/Virtualmin/Config/LAMP.pm line 18.

Post install in webmin:

Had to stop firewalld to be able to access webmin.

Selected “Run ClamAV server scanner? Yes”. Got the following error. I continued the setup with “No”.

A problem occurred testing the ClamAV server scanner :

ERROR: Could not lookup : Servname not supported for ai_socktype

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Infected files: 0
Time: 0.000 sec (0 m 0 s)

After specifying a mysql root password, I had an error of DBI_CONNECT failed, or some such. Returned to previous page and tried again successfully. Maybe a timing issue?

That’s it. Hopefully that’s the kind of things you were looking for. I’m looking forward to the Debian 9 installer. :wink:

Edit: Also needed to “apt-get install libapache2-mod-fastcgi” to correct an error about PHP-FPM not configured in Re-Check Configuration.

Resolved: Upgraded to Webmin 1.850: Edit 2: Also seeing this on the System Information page: "system-status::list_system_info failed : Illegal division by zero at /usr/share/webmin/system-status/system_info.pl line 216. ".

ERROR: Could not lookup : Servname not supported for ai_socktype

Egads. I can’t believe this is still an issue! We’re waiting like 90 seconds for it to start at this point. I’m running out of ideas for fixing it. I haven’t seen the error in my testing, since I increased the wait time, but I guess I need to increase it even more.

I believe it’s actually working…but, the problem is that the clamd server takes a long time to start. It feels like years…but, it’s really about a minute, or a minute and a half. We don’t want to wait forever when testing it (because something could actually be wrong), but we also don’t want to make it look like it’s not working when it (probably) is. They add ~9000 hashes per day to the clamav virus database, so it’s just taking a really long time to load. There’s a new project where they’re trying to reduce the size of the virus database, but it’s likely months away from being a core part of ClamAV. So, we’re stuck with this awful user experience.

I covered the firewalld problem in a comment above. It’ll be fixed in the next roll out of the virtualmin-config package, and can be fixed immediately with the command I gave above.

Edit: Can you check to be sure you have an /etc/clamav/clamd.conf or /etc/clamd.conf file? And, let me know which one you have, if you do. That may also be an issue. ClamAV has horrible, broken-by-default, configuration on every distro (it’s because the upstream clamav documentation recommends stupidly complicated configurations, on the assumption that people will be running multiple scanners for multiple purposes on a single machine…which is a thoroughly nonsensical assumption). So, we may not be tweaking it correctly on Debian.

This system has /etc/clamav/clamd.conf. Understood on the ClamAV issues. I was seeing some issues in the Re-Check Configuration step that I tracked down as freshclam not connecting to the remote site. It resolved when I restarted clamav-freshclam. Maybe due to the initial firewalld issue?

Cool beans on the firewalld fix. Sorry, was late at night for me and the context of your post got lost amongst the discussion about missing posts. :slight_smile:

seems the debian 9 changes didn’t make it into the file, as it is still not working… hope for it to come asap :slight_smile:

@Joe i can see you have updated the script, and mostly working… i can see it gives a few errors at the end, which i have no idea what means :slight_smile:

[2017-07-03 12:53:39 CEST] [INFO] Started installation log in /root/virtualmin-install.log
[2017-07-03 12:53:39 CEST] [INFO] apt-get repos: virtualmin-stretch virtualmin-universal
Downloading Virtualmin repository metadata [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Enabling universe repositories, if not already available [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Disabling cdrom: repositories [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Cleaning out old metadata [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Downloading apt.conf.noninteractive [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-virtualmin-6 [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-webmin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing Virtualmin 6 key [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing Webmin key [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Removing non-standard Webmin package, if installed [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing Webmin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing Usermin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing OS packages that Virtualmin needs [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing Virtualmin and plugins [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
3 Jul 13:06:41 ntpdate[14209]: adjust time server 217.198.219.102 offset -0.000575 sec
Configuring Apache [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Bind [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring ClamAV ▒▒░░░░░ERROR: Could not lookup : Servname not supported for ai_socktype [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Dovecot [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Fail2ban [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Firewall [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring MySQL [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring NTP [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Net [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Postfix [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring ProFTPd [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Procmail [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Quotas
The filesystem / could not be remounted with quotas enabled.
You may need to reboot your system, and enable quotas in the Disk
Quotas module. [ ✘ ]
Configuring SASL [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Shells [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring SpamAssassin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Status [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Upgrade [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Usermin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Webalizer [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Webmin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring AWStats [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Virtualmin [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Configuring Extra [ :heavy_check_mark: ]
Installing updates to Virtualmin-related packages [ :heavy_check_mark: ]

[2017-07-03 13:09:17 CEST] [SUCCESS] Installation Complete!
[2017-07-03 13:09:17 CEST] [SUCCESS] If there were no errors above, Virtualmin should be ready
[2017-07-03 13:09:17 CEST] [SUCCESS] to configure on port 10000.
vm6-install.sh: 15: kill: Illegal number: 17925 847 1354 1372 1390 1412 1435 1456 1474 1798 2149 2170 3277 3650 13114 17906

ClamAV has apparently gotten even slower since I wrote that module a few weeks ago. It’s long past ridiculous. The ai_socktype error usually just means clamd failed to start during after a minute and a half of waiting. I probably need to just skip testing it, and do something else to make sure the service has started; it’s already to the point where testing clamd takes as long as the entire rest of the install (on a fast network).

Quotas are expected to fail frequently on a CentOS 7 system, because you can’t enable quotas on a boot or root XFS filesystem without a system reboot. After a reboot, quotas may turn on on their own, but some virtual machines need to have additional boot options added on the host machine (so, in some cases disk quotas can’t be turned on at all).

In other words, that’s almost certainly successful install! (The “kill: Illegal number” bit can be ignored; it’ll go away in the next roll of install.sh.)

@Joe

Is it possible to change the order of things. Instead of install clamav and wait to see what happened, how about install clamav, go do other things, then check what happened later in the process?

Debian 9 might work now, but it’s way untested. I’ve been fighting with my VM for Debian 9 (I had to make one from scratch, as we don’t currently have any in the Cloudmin image repos, and I couldn’t find a suitable KVM image in the wild). It’s got a bunch of broken stuff, and I can’t figure out which is the Virtualmin installer breaking or what’s already broken in the image.

But, all the packages should be in the virtualmin-stretch repo, and the new virtualmin-lamp-stack package should have the right bits for Debian 9 (php7.0 and php, which is cool), and the vm6-install.sh knows about Debian 9. So, it might work fine, but I’d consider it alpha (while the other distros are probably beta-ish quality).

Is Webmin 1.850 available in the new repository? I’m getting the divide by zero error again on the System Information page with 1.842, and last time I got prompted to upgrade to 1.850 and that fixed it. Not getting prompted this time. Debian 9 install this time.

Yes, that would be one solution; I don’t currently do anything async in the installer (except the progress indicators, which spin while other stuff happens in the background), because usually if something goes wrong, we often can’t continue successfully (and in fact, a few of the current bugs I know about are that we don’t give up on the install in some cases where we should).

The more I think about it, though, the more I think clamd just shouldn’t be started, even temporarily for testing, during the initial install. It can be disabled during a semi-automatic install, but it’d likely cause trouble on a small system with less than 768MB. So, it’s probably worth just removing that test. We’ll install the stuff, hope it’s right, and let it get tested if/when the user turns it on during the postinstall wizard.

It’s supposed to be, but my Webmin roll-up script might be missing some of the new repos. I’ll check.

Edit: Fixed now. And the roll-up script has been corrected to include the new vm6 repos.

The new version of virtualmin-config package should fix the firewalld issue (though it’s untested on Debian).

I’ll have to look into the clamav-freshclam issue. It shouldn’t be firewalld related. Each task is mostly independent, and the local firewall shouldn’t prevent freshclam from talking to the world.

I’ll hopefully have the issues with my Debian 9 VM sorted out today and will be able to run some successful installs (or fix whatever’s broke so they end up successful) and then get on to the task of seeing what goes wrong during postinstall wizard and checking configuration steps. (I know some of this is likely not Debian 9 specific, but I’ve been focused on getting the Debian 9 VM in good shape so we could roll it out for Cloudmin, and so I can get the Virtualmin install working, too. So, no time for testing on other distros in the past couple days.)

cat /var/log/firewalld

2017-07-05 00:52:15 WARNING: ‘/sbin/iptables-restore -n’ failed:
2017-07-05 00:52:15 ERROR: COMMAND_FAILED

I can’t access the webserver og webmin/usermin from external, works fine with lynx on localhost
so i think its something with the firewalld as that is new…

if i then run /etc/init.d/firewalld stop i can get to them

1.850 fixed my issue.

On Debian 9 minimal install, the only installation error I had was about $clocksource and I suspect that is because I’m on an OpenVZ VPS. Oh, and shutting off firewalld as above. Everything went smoothly, even ClamAV. :slight_smile:

Nice job, Joe. :wink:

@skelgaard
I had that, too. I disabled and removed firewalld. I’m sticking with iptables for now as I have my own standard script I use to set things up. The Webmin->Networking->Linux Firewall module seems to handle things OK. I’ll revisit firewalld a bit further down the track.

My DHCP Server can’t start. When i try to start it, i get this Error:

Starting isc-dhcp-server (via systemctl): isc-dhcp-server.serviceJob for isc-dhcp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
failed!

I am configuring new Debian 9 web server with virtualmin and i have problem. Nothing works how it should be.

I can’t make my websites to be visible on Internet. Sad.

I have Debian 8 with virtualmin and all is working fine.

This Debian 9!!!

have you checked “systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service” to see what the error is… you proberly have both ipv4 and ipv6 interfaces and not defined for all. Your config is 99% at fault, not virtualmin

If you see the $clocksource error again, could you post the exact message? I don’t have any OpenVZ systems here to test on. I see a couple of places in the code where it could go wrong, but I’m not sure how to deal with it without more detail.

Is there a “/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource” file in your VZ container? If so, what’s in it?

We don’t touch DHCP, so that one is probably entirely unrelated to Virtualmin or the installer.

There may be something going on with the “can’t make websites visible” problem, but we’d need more detail to sort out what.

This is the result after installing Virtualmin 6 beta:

[2017-07-06 17:04:06 EEST] [INFO] Started installation log in /root/virtualmin-install.log [2017-07-06 17:04:06 EEST] [INFO] apt-get repos: virtualmin-stretch virtualmin-universal Downloading Virtualmin repository metadata [ ✔ ] Enabling universe repositories, if not already available [ ✔ ] Disabling cdrom: repositories [ ✔ ] Cleaning out old metadata [ ✔ ] Downloading apt.conf.noninteractive [ ✔ ] Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-virtualmin-6 [ ✔ ] Downloading RPM-GPG-KEY-webmin [ ✔ ] Installing Virtualmin 6 key [ ✔ ] Installing Webmin key [ ✔ ] Removing non-standard Webmin package, if installed [ ✔ ] Installing Webmin [ ✔ ] Installing Usermin [ ✔ ] Installing OS packages that Virtualmin needs [ ✔ ] Installing Virtualmin and plugins [ ✔ ] 6 Jul 17:04:35 ntpdate[3384]: no server suitable for synchronization found Configuring Apache [ ✔ ] Configuring Bind [ ✔ ] Configuring ClamAV [ ✔ ] Configuring Dovecot [ ✔ ] Configuring Fail2ban [ ✘ ] Configuring Firewall [ ✔ ] Configuring MySQL [ ✔ ] Configuring NTP ░░░░░░▒ 6 Jul 17:05:26 ntpdate[4344]: no server suitable for synchronization found [ ✔ ] Configuring Net [ ✔ ] Configuring Postfix ░░░░▒▒▒Failed to start Postfix! [ ✔ ] Configuring ProFTPd [ ✔ ] Configuring Procmail [ ✔ ] Configuring Quotas The filesystem / could not be remounted with quotas enabled. You may need to reboot your system, and enable quotas in the Disk Quotas module. [ ✘ ] Configuring SASL [ ✔ ] Configuring Shells [ ✔ ] Configuring SpamAssassin [ ✔ ] Configuring Status [ ✔ ] Configuring Upgrade [ ✔ ] Configuring Usermin [ ✔ ] Configuring Webalizer [ ✔ ] Configuring Webmin [ ✔ ] Configuring AWStats [ ✔ ] Configuring Virtualmin [ ✔ ] Configuring Extra [ ✔ ] Installing updates to Virtualmin-related packages [ ✔ ]

[2017-07-06 17:06:08 EEST] [SUCCESS] Installation Complete!
[2017-07-06 17:06:08 EEST] [SUCCESS] If there were no errors above, Virtualmin should be ready
[2017-07-06 17:06:08 EEST] [SUCCESS] to configure on port 10000.
./vm6-install.sh: 15: kill: Illegal number: 6638 1789 2547 2565 2583 2610 2646 2680 2711 2938 3164 3257 3289 3321 3353 6607

Yes, my config is 99% at fault, not virtualmin!

Cheers!