Virtual websites with a shared IP

My OS Debian Etch 4.0r5, using Virtualmin GPL 3.63, Webmin 1.441. All my virtual websites are all setup to use a shared IP address.

Whenever I create a new virtual website using Virtualmin it will always grab the IP address of the server as its own. Which then disables my other websites. To correct it I would go into Apache and manually change the "Virtual Server Details" to use address (any) and port to (default) apply the change then it all works.

If my memory serves me right I don’t recall having this problem when I was using CentOS. Could this just be a Debian issue or have I missed to change a configuration somewhere? Thanks!

Hello

My OS Debian 5.04 with virtualmin pro , and webmin 1.500.
All my virtual websites are all setup to use a shared IP address.

Whenever I create a new virtual website using Virtualmin it will always grab the IP address of the server as its own. Which then disables my other websites.

Could this just be a Debian issue or have I missed to change a configuration somewhere?

Thanks!

Hrm… I’ve never heard of that happening – you should be able to have as many domains using one IP as you like… IP addresses are commonly shared between all the domains on the server.

Actually, I suppose one possibility would be if the “SSL website enabled” feature was selected when creating the Virtual Server. Since SSL does require a unique IP address, of that option is selected, it might cause the behavior you’re describing.

-Eric

Hello Eric

That is correct , ive got shared ip for all domain on the server but i need ssl website enable becouse i need ssl for my squirrelmail , and several ssl for each virtual server and if i 've got one ssl for ip , how can i do?
For example i need and ssl page for e comerce for one page , and i need another ssl for my page .
what can i do? I think that is virtual interfaces but i’m not sure.

Thanks

Well, there’s a technical limitation – you can only have one SSL certificate per IP address.

Though, I am wondering why you’re seeing the other sites become unavailable… is the entire site unavailable, or just the ability to access it over SSL? And which Virtualmin version are you using?

One way to handle that “one SSL cert per IP address” limitation is to use the same certificate for each site – and when you purchase your SSL cert, to get one that’s setup for use with multiple domains – they’re called UCC Certificates. For example, GoDaddy has an SSL “UCC” certificate you can buy for $90/year that can handle 5 domain names.

-Eric