Very first virtualmin install - access removed

Hi folks,

I had installed virtualmin on a RHEL system and a couple of very strange problems have cropped up.

Firstly, the Apache test page now says - powered by CentOS instead of RHEL. All the files and filesystems are intact therefore I am at a loss as to why it would report another version of linux altogether.

Secondly, my sudo access has been overwritten / removed after installation. It just comes up with a message that XXXX (username) does not have sudo access…etc

And lastly, trying to access the virtualmin page over the port 10000 is just returning an “unable to connect” error. [Since I am locked out of using sudo, I am at a loss of how to proceed].

Thank you in advance for your help.

Howdy,

The Apache package you’re using was built on CentOS, which is causing the message you’re seeing.

That’s no problem though, you can create a new domain and set it as the default. That would prevent anyone from seeing that default page.

Regarding sudo – Webmin and Virtualmin don’t make any changes to the sudoers file. I suspect something else may have occurred around the same time as your installation to cause the issue you’re seeing.

Do you have a root password set? You could always use “su” rather than “sudo”. Otherwise you may need to boot into single user mode to either add a root password, or correct the sudoers file.

We can troubleshoot why you are unable to connect to port 10000 – but you’d need root privileges to do that. It may be a firewall issue, or just a matter of restarting Webmin.

-Eric

Thank you very much Eric.

You have pointed me in the correct direction. Doing a little bit of digging around, I noticed that my command prompt has changed from [username@machinename dir]$ to [username@domainnname dir] $

I am assuming that when I added the default domain on Virtualmin, this change happened…and therefore the new instance / account of this user does not have the required privileges to run a command as a sudo user (please correct me or if my thought process is incorrect).

[[ If I am way of target here … what should I tell my hosts to do to resolve the issue … ideally I would like to resolve this issue myself – so that I can learn]]

Thanks once again

There is an alternative command pkexec available on newer Linuxes that sometimes works when sudo doesn’t, because pkexec doesn’t rely on a valid /etc/sudoers file. Try it and see.