Validation command. Strange results

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 12
Webmin version 2.111
Virtualmin version 7.10.0 Pro
Related packages BIND (?) / LEMP stack

I’ve run into a strange issue that I’ve never seen before. The server was acting strangely, and one of my websites refused to work. I looked into this and discovered what was wrong and fixed.

I then ran the Validation command to check everything, and this is the message it pumped out for every website. (I checked BIND and GoDaddy just to be sure the IP was set correctly there, also checked “Networking / Hosts”.)

Note: My external IP address is 66.186.202.163

soft-focus-imagining.com
— DNS domain : The DNS record soft-focus-imagining.com. resolves to the IP address 66.186.202.163 instead of the virtual server’s IP 161.97.252.164

soft-focus-imagining.net
— DNS domain : The DNS record soft-focus-imagining.net. resolves to the IP address 66.186.202.163 instead of the virtual server’s IP 161.97.252.164

Not sure where the issue is.

Nigel.

Not a single thing strange about that result:

$ host soft-focus-imagining.com
soft-focus-imagining.com has address 66.186.202.163
soft-focus-imagining.com mail is handled by 10 cloud7.spamtitan.com.
soft-focus-imagining.com mail is handled by 10 cloud8.spamtitan.com.

That’s actually what that name resolves to.

$ whois soft-focus-imagining.com|grep 'Name Server'
Name Server: NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Check GoDaddy again, because that’s who’s authoritative for the zone.

Joe,

I use SpamTitian to filter out the (you guessed) spam. Email is actually working all OK.

I did discover the issue. In “Manage Virtual Server” the setting “External IP Address” was set (reason unknown) in “manual mode”, with that IP address. I changed it to “Same as real address” and all is OK. I think that was the old IP address before I had to change using “Change IP Address”. It didn’t update that IP address.

Nigel.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.