Using VirtualMin Pro on a Local Dev Server

I’m in the process of developing some new websites that will eventually require me to purchase a dedicated server to run those sites. I want to use Apache 2.0 with PHP 5 and MySQL 5.

My current dev hosting uses CPanel and CPanel doesn’t support these newer versions of the software I want to install and run.

My questions are:

1. Can I manage a dedicated server using VirtualMin Pro and install Apache 2.0, PHP 5, and MySQL 5? That is, is VM compatible with the latest versions of these packages?

2. I don’t want to rent and set up a real dedicated server yet (to save money). Can I buy a license of VM and install it on my local dev server (not visible from the internet although it does have access to the internet through my home broadband connection)?

3. If so, can I later transfer the license for VM from my local dev server to my real dedicated server once I rent it and open the websites for real?

I’m thinking that as a newbie, if I am going to go with a dedicated server that doesn’t use WHM/CPanel, I should “practice” setting up and configuring/managing a local dev server with VM before ordering an unmanaged server without a CP.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your interest.

The answer to all of your questions is: Yes.

With regard to the newer packages, our installer won’t necessarily install them for you. In some cases it will–php5 will be included in all platforms by the end of the Early Adopter period, for example, and Apache 2.0 is the only officially supported Apache version, while for MySQL we use whatever is provided by the OS…but Virtualmin and Webmin are confirmed to work for MySQL 5 if you install it yourself, though you may have to modify some configuration details.

And the Virtualmin license policy does permit migration of a license to a new machine. You can even have a "hot spare". Our license policy is extremely customer-friendly…as friendly as we can be while still hopefully insuring we can make a living working full-time on Virtualmin.

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I think I know what will now be under my tree on Christmas morning!